Partition

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
Can you partition a external hard drive?

Im not risking it with a HD that is'nt mine .. :eek:

I'm thinking you can, just like any other hard drive, but does it depend on the rpm's? Or something.

Will rep you if you help me! and give me the correct info!

You sure can. I found this for you:

Plug in the drive, turn it on, and connect it to your PC via its USB or FireWire cable. Windows XP should automatically detect it and install drivers. (Most enclosures are also plug-and-play with Windows 2000 and recent Mac versions, with drivers often available for other OSs.)

Next you'll need to partition and format it. Right-click My Computer and choose Manage. The Initialize and Convert Disk wizard should be visible; keep clicking Next and follow the prompts to initialize the drive. When that's finished, the Computer Management window appears. Click Disk Management on the left pane, then scroll down the lower right pane until the new drive appears, and right-click it. Choose New Partition, then choose Primary Partition from the next screen, and follow the prompts to format the drive. Use the NTFS file system rather than FAT32, unless you plan to use the drive with an old version of Windows (Windows 95/98/Me).

Ah that's bloody brill!
I did'nt know that about the FAT32 either, and quick reply im impressed :D

It's pretty straight forward really.

Another question, how come i looked up and it said it's bad for the hard drive if you do that(partition)

I really couldn't tell you. Most everybody these days partitions hard drives to their liking. I've never heard that it was bad for the drive.

Another way to format and partiton the external drive is pretty much the same as above. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Click on Disk Management in the left pane. There you should see your external drive and be able to format and partition it.

Back
Top Bottom