which part is bad?

its snoodles

In Runtime
I am building an AMD DDR3 build and i have had 4 motherboard and so far no luck. The first 2 were ECS boards and the first one i received was dead, and the second one worked but had no sound. So i got a refund and ordered a ASUS M4A88TD-M motherboard and the first one i got the LED lit up on it but when i press the power button the fans spun for a half second as did the first
ECS board. So i figure ill RMA it and get a replacement so i did and the replacement i received is not working either. The new one i have received the fans barely twitch when i turn the power supply on and the green LED telling me i have power is barely visible even in the dark. I have tried a much weaker 20 pin 250 WATT PSU when i plug that one in the power LED is much bright but instead flickers with no fan movement. So i am confused do i have a bad PSU or yet another bad Motherboard?

my power supply is a logisys 575 watt

Rest of my system:
AMD regor 240 2.8GHz dual core
2GB of corsair 1333 DDR3
160GB WD caviar blue
ASUS M4A88TD-M

thats what i was thinking but when i short it from the start pin to one of the 3 volt grounding pins it turns on could it still be the power supply like one of the pins are bad or something? or maybe the 4 volt?

Do you have anything to test the PSU with (actual PSU tester or a simple voltage meter?). It does indeed sound like a PSU issue. I've never encountered someone who had 3 bad MBs in a row. Granted the first were ECS (which I am not fond of), but...still. That's a lot of failures and they all exhibited the same problem so it must be a common culprit.

i do have a multimeter its not a digital one but i can use it but how would i test it with a multimeter? the second motherboard i had gotten it was a replacement ECS it did work but the sound was burnt out dont know if the PSU caused it or not and the 1st asus board the power LED was bright and the core unlocker light came on but the board didnt turn on. the replacement i have received the LED on the board is barely visible even in the dark and the 250 watt i tried was much brighter just it flickered. what i dont understand is what could have killed it in the 2 weeks between the replacement, could it have been me shorting it with the 3 volt grounding pin. would that have killed it maybe?

It theoretically should work since your PSU seems to be completely defective, however, there is a chance that it will show you readings that are just fine because there is no load on the PSU. In which case, you'll only ever know by getting a new one--which you should anyways since Logisys PSUs are pretty much junko.

yeah thats what ive been getting i was on a tight budget and ive learned the hard way not to get off brands hence what happened with my ECS board. also i have another question with the board the actually worked the second ecs board is it possible that it just so happened to power on but i didnt have enough power going through it to run the sound or just the sound was bad and some time since then something else went wrong on the psu

Yup. When you get ready to buy a new PSU, let us know and we'll help you pick out a quality unit.

Back
Top Bottom