Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Parent screwed his sons pc needs help

I bought my son a P4 Dell dimension 3000 I bought it completly basic just so he could go on the internet. What i did was hook it up to a D-link router which was also connected to my computer as well as my 360. now this is when things go wrong. The setup worked great for two months until my friend put media centre on my sons computer then it said that it couldnt connect to the internet so I put windows XP home back on his computer and when it booted up it was massive it was set to 640 x 480 screen resoulotion now this was just an eye sore but when I tried to reconnect my computer to my network it said cannot find hardware even though it is all connect perfectly. Could some people who clearly know more then I do help I would be thankfu if someone knows how to change the resoulotion Oh and i cant do it under display the bar wont move any further right and could someone explain to me whats up with the router and computer issue. Thanks for the help.

moistapplepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Parent screwed his sons pc needs help

you need drivers.

well first of all, you made a big mistake by not letting your son play games

anyway, heres some drivers for the dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&os=WW1&osl=EN

evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by moistapplepie
I bought my son a P4 Dell dimension 3000 I bought it completly basic just so he could go on the internet. What i did was hook it up to a D-link router which was also connected to my computer as well as my 360. now this is when things go wrong. The setup worked great for two months until my friend put media centre on my sons computer then it said that it couldnt connect to the internet so I put windows XP home back on his computer and when it booted up it was massive it was set to 640 x 480 screen resoulotion now this was just an eye sore but when I tried to reconnect my computer to my network it said cannot find hardware even though it is all connect perfectly. Could some people who clearly know more then I do help I would be thankfu if someone knows how to change the resoulotion Oh and i cant do it under display the bar wont move any further right and could someone explain to me whats up with the router and computer issue. Thanks for the help.
The display problem sound like a graphics driver issue to me but I could be wrong. Try going here to get the drivers for it; just click on "Video Adapter" and see which one is yours and then install the driver and that should fix your display problem.
As for the router issue.... try unplugging the cable modem and router for about 5-10 minutes and then plug it back in and see if that does anything. You could also go into the config for your router by typing in the IP address of it from a computer that is connected to it (should say that address in the router's manual) and then make sure the router is allowing that computer to connect to it. (assuming you're using a wireless router) If you have a MAC address access control type thing on, disable it until the card connects to the router and see if that does anything (I had that problem back when I had wifi).
If you're using a wired router, you could try pulling up the config address and try reverting it back to factory settings and see if that does anything... Also make sure the hardware drivers for the PC are all installed as well.

Hope that helps,
Troy
Old 08-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

network card drivers to fix the connection problems.
video card drivers to fix the resolution.

U can probably find both of them from the link that john provided.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

He could always use the Dell restore disc that came with the computer. That will put it back to that state it was in when he bought it.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote