Paper clip trick.

It "fools" the PSU into thinking a mobo is attached so it will turn on. Once it's on, you can use a meter to test the various voltages.

It "fools" the PSU into thinking a mobo is attached so it will turn on. Once it's on, you can use a meter to test the various voltages.

Got ya. So, if I used a fan like in the thing I posted, it really just shows it'd put out fan voltages...

I did this little trick and ran it to a press button switch when I had my old PSU powering my car stereo :)

Worked brilliantly actually!!

I never really got round to finishing my plan was to take my car stereo wire it up into my case and have the PC wired into it through the Aux in. Then have a decision on a single internal speaker, built into the case or bigger external speakers.

However I got about as far as having the stereo sat next to my computer with a dodgy old 6x9 speaker out of my car, still worked tho!

Worked brilliantly actually!!

I never really got round to finishing my plan was to take my car stereo wire it up into my case and have the PC wired into it through the Aux in. Then have a decision on a single internal speaker, built into the case or bigger external speakers.

However I got about as far as having the stereo sat next to my computer with a dodgy old 6x9 speaker out of my car, still worked tho!

That's awesome. lol

If you had a spare PSU laying around that you wanted to make use of it by powering your car stereo that makes sense but a PSU costs more than a simple 12VDC adapter which would work as well for a lot less money.

Back in the 70's car stereos weren't very common place and were often the target of thieves. I bought my first car stereo and was scared to leave it in my car for fear someone would break in and steal it so I installed it with a slide mount so I could take it out when I parked the car. I then built a box with a 12VDC power supply, a couple of speakers and another slide mount. When I was in my room, I could use the car stereo in this contraption then when I left I could pull it out and use it in my car. Worked great.

I used to use a computer psu to power my car maps player (mstation)

I disagree about an alternative supply being cheaper, unless you have a huge amp built into the stereo then a tiny 300w supply is going to cost about £10.

A 300w power brick costs a lot more. Even a 30w brick from maplin costs more than a 300w psu.

I never thoughts about cost to be honest it was just something I had laying around from an old shop bought build when I was like 12.

Back
Top Bottom