Palm OS or Windows Mobile

Paradox1

Fully Optimized
I was looking around for a PDA online and consulting my friends for advice, I found a palmOne Tungsten T5 Which I really thought was a good buy at $315.. It has the Palm OS 5.4

But I was told by a friend that the Palm OS isnt good at all, He reccomended the Dell Axim X5 which is $425 starting. It has the Windows Mobile 2003.

I am not a fan of Dell at all, And It seems that If I got the dell I would be paying a hundred dollars more and getting less ram for the same specs..

Does it really matter which OS it is? Is one better than the other or another one of those "My OS is this so I'm going to bash the other to kingdom come so I feel better about Mine" deals?

Incase you were wanting to know the situation, I want to get a blue tooth enabled PDA because I want to access the internet wherever I go, Im contracted with alltel for another year, and I found a nokia phone that has blue tooth built in that I can get for free if I sign up for 2 years. (Free as in rebate) The Mobile Web costs 4 dollars extra a month so its not a big deal. Only problem now is Finding a good PDA that will last me.

Windows PDA's have the power of Microsoft backing it up like the PCs. Palm OS is like Apple but more open source and compatible with a lot of programs out there.

Ive never liked Microsoft lol, But Apple Makes Mac.. EEK Linux Make a pda os!! now! I demand it! o.o

Odd, Its as if people pick which people theyre going to help with, I have not had much help at all with any of my questions Here at CF =\ If people dont know they could At the very least point me in the direction of someone that did

You need to narrow it down to what you want. When I read your post, it's like blab, blab, blab. What you are trying to say is "What PDA should I get?" That's simple and right to the point. You want a nice PDA that has all the features. Well, there are two in the market that are competing head on against each other, the Dell Axim X50 and the PalmOne Tungsten T5. You pointed it out so this is what may be in your mind but you can't make a decision which one to pick.

First, you get what you pay. Tungsten is cheaper, well look at what the Axim has to offer. Just because it has 128MB less RAM than the Axim doesn't mean that it totally sucks all of a sudden. You say you want Bluetooth? Tungsten T5 doesn't even have that capability but the Axim does. I shouldn't say it's not possible for the T5, but it is Bluetooth "compatible or ready" meaning not built in.

The 300 some odd dollars for a Tungsten T5's biggest selling point is: 256MB of memory, almost four times as much as its predecessor, the Tungsten T3, and the most I've seen on a PDA so far. That's it. But you can also always add more storage to the Axim's SD slot, so no big deal there.

If multimedia matters to you, consider Dell's Axim X50v Pocket PC. This thing not only packs Intel's most powerful CPU for handhelds, the 624-MHz Bulverde, it's one of the first mainstream PDAs with a dedicated graphics processor (the Intel 2700 with 16MB of graphics memory). Gamer's delight? The X50v is also the first PDA to include version 10 of Windows Media Player Mobile, which enables playback of content from subscription services that support Microsoft's Windows Media Digital Rights Management 10 technology.

The X50v has 64MB of internal RAM and 128MB of flash ROM; you can add more via the SD Card or CompactFlash slots as I have mentioned earlier. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are both built in of course.

The X50v does deliver the best available Pocket PC performance, expansion, and connectivity in a nice 4-500 dollar package.

Overall, the Dell is impressive. The Tungsten T5 is a more evolutionary upgrade that will appeal primarily to those who want a Palm-based business handheld that can double as a portable storage device (because of the huge RAM it's got) and who don't insist on using Wi-Fi. If you do choose to use internet, it is Bluetooth compatible however so all hope isn't lost with the Tungsten T5.

As far as OS version goes, isn't it the newer OS generally better? Why even revert back to 5.2.8 or even 5.2.1 when 5.4 is more updated? PalmOS 6 will be coming out soon if you want to wait for that.

I have a two year old PDA with the original Windows CE on there (Compaq iPAQ) and works great still. Network connectivity is amazing (had to have my admin configure that for me). It only has 64MB of RAM but you don't notice the slowdown. I've got a 1GB SD card I use for all my storage anyways. No biggie there. What more can you expect from a PDA? It's a PDA, not a high powered laptop or desktop PC.

If anyone want to give more advice on PDA's, then feel free to post. I just like WIndows OS on the PDA simply because Microsoft makes it and I've grown accustomed to Windows software. PalmOS reminds me of Linux and I should retract my statement from the previous thread about it being Apple. Unlike Linux, the PalmOS have tons of software available as well as Windows Mobile. So you just have to pick what you like.

Back
Top Bottom