Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default paging file location

ive heard that moving the paging file to a second hard drive can boost the performance of your comp is that true? and would it be a good idea to move it from my sata hard drive to an ide hard drive?

ASUS P6X58D premium | i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz | Corsair XMS3 6GB | MSI GTX460 HAWK | OCZ vertex 2 SSD | Coolermaster HAF X case
gaming_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: paging file location

I would't honestly mess with that if I were you, as I don't tihnk you'd notice that much difference. Its more a case of making sure the hard drive it is on is clean and defragged often to make it easier to find space.

I wouldn't think moving it from a SATA to IDE would make any difference either. Its just a different connection type.

Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Wizard of Wires
Default Re: paging file location

Not true kage. If you make the primary page file small as in 768 megs and create another one larger on another drive it will dramaticly improve drive response time.
The primary drive if it has the page file on it and nowhere else when the page file and a program both want to access the drive guess which one suffers? If you guess the program you are right. Page files have priority access to the drive.
If you split it accross two drives the smaller fills up quickly and xp looks for the other one on the other drive and continues to use it. Meanwhile the OS and programs can get access to the primary drive with out having to wait.
And it really makes no difference what type of drive it is. Some thing else. The rule of thumb in creating a page file is make it 1.5 times the size of the total ram. DO NOT let xp control the size of the page file as it's not thier best handy work. It can waste a lot of drive space that is a major pain to recover. I would reccomend the primary page file be as small as xp will allow you to make it. The second one 1.5 times the memory.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote