Packet Loss, How Much Is Alot?

All that means is how many packets of data you have sent and how many have been sent to you, You're not loosing any packets

If your thinking about a ping, Where it says "x many packets sent, y many packets returned, z many packets lost" that means the address you sent the packet to didnt send it back, meaning its not on or not there, etc Has nothing to do with downloading something

Like.. you go to a webpage, you sent x number of bytes to request the webpage when you typed it in the address bar.

Then when it gets sent, that box registers you send that data. Well then it uploads the webpage to you, you download it, well one webpage at CF is around 50KB so obviously your going to be receiving more than you send, You got nothing to worry about

And Lag: Lag is when it takes a bit longer to download something, be it the processor slowing down because its overloaded, or your RAM is full, or theres alot of access to the server your downloading from, it's not packet loss

ok thanks for that explination, i appreciate it. But that still doesn't explain how I just completly freeze when i play games for at least 2 seconds up to 10 seconds, and then resume play normally i get the "connection problems" notification, and have tried everything and not even my isp has been able to fix it even after coming to my house

nickbuddy111 said:
ok thanks for that explination, i appreciate it. But that still doesn't explain how I just completly freeze when i play games for at least 2 seconds up to 10 seconds, and then resume play normally i get the "connection problems" notification, and have tried everything and not even my isp has been able to fix it even after coming to my house

well it could be your internet connection, or if the servers are far away, it could be taking longer for your computer to send and receive packets because the servers are much further away. But judging by your specs, its your processor not being able to handle (altho its prob above the minimum requirements), high stress situations, or your gfx card depending on your settings, or maybe even lack of ram.

mayorredbeard said:
well it could be your internet connection, or if the servers are far away, it could be taking longer for your computer to send and receive packets because the servers are much further away. But judging by your specs, its your processor not being able to handle (altho its prob above the minimum requirements), high stress situations, or your gfx card depending on your settings, or maybe even lack of ram.

Nice explanation and i believe that the physical location is definately a huge deciding factor ... most people complain that i lag, simply because they're in america while i am here in australia, my data packets have to travel across the pacific ... taking 180 ms ... it becomes annoying sometimes

Back
Top Bottom