Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Packet Loss, How Much Is Alot?

I'm concerend about packet loss because i get horrible lag spikes in games, right now I have 330,000 sent and 800,000 recieved.

edit: the longer i download the more packets i lose, im now at 3.2 million sent and 100 million recieved
http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/3338/packets5ia.jpg

i dont know if thats even bad but someone tell me

512 corsair xms
nickbuddy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Paradox Send a message via MSN to Paradox Send a message via Yahoo to Paradox
Default Re: Packet Loss, How Much Is Alot?

All that means is how many packets of data you have sent and how many have been sent to you, You're not loosing any packets

If your thinking about a ping, Where it says "x many packets sent, y many packets returned, z many packets lost" that means the address you sent the packet to didnt send it back, meaning its not on or not there, etc Has nothing to do with downloading something

Like.. you go to a webpage, you sent x number of bytes to request the webpage when you typed it in the address bar.

Then when it gets sent, that box registers you send that data. Well then it uploads the webpage to you, you download it, well one webpage at CF is around 50KB so obviously your going to be receiving more than you send, You got nothing to worry about

And Lag: Lag is when it takes a bit longer to download something, be it the processor slowing down because its overloaded, or your RAM is full, or theres alot of access to the server your downloading from, it's not packet loss

Xbox Live: Error Lord
Personal Email: HunterMRose[at]gmail.com
Aim: Error Lord
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
In Runtime

ok thanks for that explination, i appreciate it. But that still doesn't explain how I just completly freeze when i play games for at least 2 seconds up to 10 seconds, and then resume play normally i get the "connection problems" notification, and have tried everything and not even my isp has been able to fix it even after coming to my house
512 corsair xms
nickbuddy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Golden Master

packets = bytes
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuddy111
ok thanks for that explination, i appreciate it. But that still doesn't explain how I just completly freeze when i play games for at least 2 seconds up to 10 seconds, and then resume play normally i get the "connection problems" notification, and have tried everything and not even my isp has been able to fix it even after coming to my house
well it could be your internet connection, or if the servers are far away, it could be taking longer for your computer to send and receive packets because the servers are much further away. But judging by your specs, its your processor not being able to handle (altho its prob above the minimum requirements), high stress situations, or your gfx card depending on your settings, or maybe even lack of ram.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Paradox Send a message via MSN to Paradox Send a message via Yahoo to Paradox

Yeah, Thats what I was saying, Its not packet loss its something else

Xbox Live: Error Lord
Personal Email: HunterMRose[at]gmail.com
Aim: Error Lord
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:00 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorredbeard
well it could be your internet connection, or if the servers are far away, it could be taking longer for your computer to send and receive packets because the servers are much further away. But judging by your specs, its your processor not being able to handle (altho its prob above the minimum requirements), high stress situations, or your gfx card depending on your settings, or maybe even lack of ram.
Nice explanation and i believe that the physical location is definately a huge deciding factor ... most people complain that i lag, simply because they're in america while i am here in australia, my data packets have to travel across the pacific ... taking 180 ms ... it becomes annoying sometimes

dyserq is offline   Reply With Quote