P4 3.2 Extreme Edition (skt 478) is it worth it??

BrummieSi

Beta member
Hi

I have been offered a P4 3.2 Extreme Edition (skt 478) processor for £220 and was wondering is this a worthwhile upgrade from my current P4 3.2 Prescott (skt 478) or am i better off spending my money on a skt 775 mobo, chip and a PCI-E graphics card?????

The rest of my spec is

Asus P4P800 E-deluxe motherboard
Gainward Bliss 7800GS 512 Mb AGPx8
2 x 1Gb Crucial DDR400 memory
Western Digital Paptor 74Gb sata drive (system)
Maxtor 250Gb sata drive (storage)
Freecom +/- DVD writer
Globalwin 802 case
Enermax PSU

Thanks

£220? That seems pretty high to me. And if you have a P4 3.2Ghz now, you wouldnt see much of a difference.

I would use the money to buy a nice PCI-e GPU.

I also use S478, and know the sort of pain it can cause..no SLI for us!

You have got some nice build there mate.

i think u should get 775, coz the 478 r abit old now and doesnt support 64-bit or anything.

No, but Skt T is the new standard.

This is how it goes:

If you are an avid computer user, gaming, need to have nice stuff, or just want to have really nice stuff, with out spending too much money, get it.

But if you need or want the best of the best, save the money, get a Skt T mobo, with PCI Ex, get a 640 processor (Intel Pent 4, 3.2ghz) and a 7600GT video card.

I say get it, I dont know how much that is in USD, but it is a nice processor. Although, I cant say you would see a big difference.

My system rocks as it is at the moment.

It plays all games at max settings, multi-tasks no problem, is very quiet and never crashes. Ijust wondered if the Extreme Edition P4 would give it a boost.

Of course its going to give it a boost. EEs are Top of the line. Professionall stuff. Although, I cant say how much of the power you could use. Sure it improves efficency, but like.. its got so much power, I really dont think you would use it.

By chance know the FSB on it?

I say if you have the cash, do it, because its only going to help, although, if your a little tight on cash, dont worry about it, as it wont be a big deal whether you get it or not.

No, its not worth it. If i were you, i would get a P-M and ASUS CT-479 adapter.

Here is the processor spec for the 3.2 EE i have been offered.

sSpec Number
sl7aa
Processor Frequency
3.20 GHz
CPUID String
0F25h
Package Type
478 pin
Core Voltage
Bus Speed
800 MHz
Thermal Guideline