Overheating - System

It's not just slap on some paste and hope it works. A dab about the size of a grain of rice is all you need for most cpu chips. Less and it doesn't transfer the heat. Too much and it acts like a blanket. If you have never installed a heatsink, my advice is take it to some one that has. Like a tech shop. Having it done is cheaper than replacing the cpu when it fries.
Now Lhuser like I told you before you have an airflow problem in your case. Resolve than and you should be fine.

setishock said:
.......... If you have never installed a heatsink, my advice is take it to some one that has. Like a tech shop. Having it done is cheaper than replacing the cpu when it fries..........
Sooooooooo true, the link below details the process (for AS5 specifically, but is true for most 99.9% silver based thermal compounds, please read the whole page :) )
How to apply AS5

setishock said:
.......... Now Lhuser like I told you before you have an airflow problem in your case. Resolve than and you should be fine..........
Probably the second most common reason for overheating, the first being dust build up, I dedust the inside of my case once a month at the mimimum ......... When was the last time you people checked all your fans/heatsinks for dust build up???

setishock said:
It's not just slap on some paste and hope it works. A dab about the size of a grain of rice is all you need for most cpu chips. Less and it doesn't transfer the heat. Too much and it acts like a blanket. If you have never installed a heatsink, my advice is take it to some one that has. Like a tech shop. Having it done is cheaper than replacing the cpu when it fries.
Now Lhuser like I told you before you have an airflow problem in your case. Resolve than and you should be fine.

Seti, I have told you that I did it. The system temp is the one who worries me. The CPU is fine...

Thanks for all that info everyone you been helping me out as well Deathstar thanks for the link You guys Rule

lhuser said:
Again, Unreal II froze, but when I decided to look at the system temps, the CPU showed 65C, which is normal after games, but the system went sky high to 46-50C....Usually, normal PCs would hang around 38-40C....What is overheating in there? It can't be the CPU...and if my GFX overheats with the fan instead of the plain chunk of metal that was in there before, then there's problems...

What's wrong?
46-50C sounds ok to me, mine actually goes a little over that and still runs ok, im gona fix it soon with a better heatsink on the chipset, ive used this one on another board http://www.anitec.ca/product/597/vantec_iceberq_vga_and_chipset_cooling_kit./ i just used the vga fan and it did a much better job than the stock one, as for the cpu that sounds really hot to me even if its a P4, u should think about a zalman or some other decent heatsink for that

I still don't get the freesing though...and now look! Unreal II went corrupted :mad:

Sometimes, it makes Linux shiny again...

If you say they're good, then ok, but the freesing is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom