Overheating....oh boy.

You could just install coretemp, everest or speedfan and do it from windows. This way, you will be able to stress the cpu and get accurate temps. Try prime95 and see how high it gets.

Quit if the cores get over 70C.

Realtemp is the most accurate for Intel cpus, if he uses Realtemp he needs to set the TJ Max to 100...

@OP, your chipset has nothing to do with your HSF, that comes with the cpu usually and is designed for that specific cpu...

thank you everyone for helping. I reapplied the thermal paste and made sure that the heatsync is on tight. I found my main issue is for some reason the heatsync never clipped in right and it took some working to get it in there tight.

my cpu now runs around 38c most the time and it does not shut off when stressing the system.

if your cpu is 50° that is fine, it's a little hot (the cores are probably around 65-70°), but not hot enough to shut down the computer, if your computer is shutting down there's something else wrong with it, my cores get up into the 80s when running LinX sometimes without shutting down...

whoa! I have a q9400 @ 3.2ghz, and my cores don't ever go above 61. I have a pretty nice cooler though, maybe that's why.

whoa! I have a q9400 @ 3.2ghz, and my cores don't ever go above 61. I have a pretty nice cooler though, maybe that's why.

my cooler is basically a Xigmatek S1283 clone and has very good reviews even with i7 rigs, I also use Shin Etsu thermal compound, my problem is that my Q6600 is B3 stepping, the B3s OC like crap, add that to the fact that I have to pump 1.4v just to OC it to 3.0GHz because of the horrendous vdroop on my motherboard (-0.08v) and that's why I idle around 38°, btw, if you want to see the highest temp that your processor will ever reach run LinX, it heats up your cpu more than Prime95 or IBT, probably about 15° hotter than Prime95 and 10° hotter than IBT...

if your cpu is 50° that is fine, it's a little hot (the cores are probably around 65-70°), but not hot enough to shut down the computer, if your computer is shutting down there's something else wrong with it, my cores get up into the 80s when running LinX sometimes without shutting down...

Your CPU is running into the 80's?? That's way hotter than a CPU should ever get. I don't expect your processor will last very long.

What is LinX btw?

Your CPU is running into the 80's?? That's way hotter than a CPU should ever get. I don't expect your processor will last very long.

What is LinX btw?

my cpu cores run in the 80s during LinX, and sometimes reaches the 70s during IBT, besides those infrequent occurrences my computer my cpu cores run in the 40s and sometimes will top out in the 50s under heavy load...

my cpu will be fine and will last until I replace it...

I wasn't curious enough to google search it myself.

but you were curious enough to assume you knew what you were talking about...?

LinX is the most intensive stress test you can put your cpu through, it puts Prime95 to shame in regards to heating up your cpu, but runs for a much shorter time, that's why people like to stress test with LinX and IBT, it gives you faster results for the stability of your overclock...

my cpu cores run in the 80s during LinX, and sometimes reaches the 70s during IBT, besides those infrequent occurrences my computer my cpu cores run in the 40s and sometimes will top out in the 50s under heavy load...

my cpu will be fine and will last until I replace it...

It sounded like it was more of a regular occurrence to hit 80*C. I don't imagine running LinX all the time will help the life-span of your CPU.

It sounded like it was more of a regular occurrence to hit 80*C. I don't imagine running LinX all the time will help the life-span of your CPU.

It doesn't hurt the CPU to run it occasionally for short periods of time. When you have 80C for a long time, it will hurt it though.

Back
Top Bottom