Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Default overheating CPU... recommendations?

Hey all, I recently built a new gaming computer with an Intel Core Duo CPU E7300 processor @ 2.66 GHz. It works just fine except when I play demanding games like Call of Duty - then it'll heat up and my PC Probe tells me it reaches abnormal temperatures. At one point it reached 68 degrees but then the game automatically minimized (because of the PC Probe) and it went back to normal. I've got a couple of fans inside the computer but the CPU fan is the default one that came with it. I'm wondering what I should do and if I will need to replace the fan, and if so which one would do the trick.

Thanks..
__________________

diggitydoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

The max temp of the 45nm C2s is 72c, and it's not unusual for it to go right up to those maxes under the stock cooler. I would disable PCprobe and download an app such as RealTemp. Leave it running whilst playing your game and it will record the max temp. Once you've finished playing, see what max realtelp has recorded, if it's under 72c, you're fine.

And it's likely that PC P. doesn't know the correct Tjmax for the 45nm so it is giving your temps 10c higher than they really are.
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded Real Temp. What does TJMax mean? It gives me two temperatures (45 and 36) and then under it theres two numbers that represent distance to TJMax (55 and 64). Does that mean that 100 is the max temperature? How do I interpret these numbers?
diggitydoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded Real Temp. What does TJMax mean? It gives me two temperatures (45 and 36) and then under it theres two numbers that represent distance to TJMax (55 and 64). Does that mean that 100 is the max temperature? How do I interpret these numbers?
The TjMax is what temperature reading apps use to calculate the core temps. It's different for every range of CPUs. You should just be looking at the first values, not the distance to TjMax. Compare the temps with PCProbe, are they lower?
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
The TjMax is what temperature reading apps use to calculate the core temps. It's different for every range of CPUs. You should just be looking at the first values, not the distance to TjMax. Compare the temps with PCProbe, are they lower?
and make sure your tjmax is set at 100 or you'll be getting a reading about 10c lower than what it actually is, before I knew about it I used to thump my chest about my temps being in the 20s when in actuality my tjmax was set wrong (85 IIRC) and the temps were actually in the 30s...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

Thanks for the replies, guys. My TJMax is set at 100. The Core 0 temperature right now is 45 degrees celsius, and the Core 1 temperature is 36. On PC probe it lists the CPU temperature as being 33 degrees. It's acting weird though... yesterday I was trying to import a CD and that alone gave me a warning on the pc probe that the temperature had risen to 65. It also doesn't give me any trouble when I play warcraft 3 but when I play call of duty for even a few seconds, it immediately jumps up to 65-68 degrees on the pc probe and it alerts me. I'm thinking that the default cooling system that came with the CPU isn't good enough for high end gaming, but I have no idea why the temperature would jump so high with simply importing a CD to itunes.
diggitydoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

It should be fine with the stock cooler as long as its not overclocked to much. The problem may be that the cooler is not seated correctly on the CPU or maybe the thermal paste is junk....you could try some testing programs to see if the CPU is really overheating or if it is just the pc probes readings...but as long as your not over the limit with the temps it should be fine...
__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: overheating CPU... recommendations?

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys. My TJMax is set at 100. The Core 0 temperature right now is 45 degrees celsius, and the Core 1 temperature is 36. On PC probe it lists the CPU temperature as being 33 degrees. It's acting weird though... yesterday I was trying to import a CD and that alone gave me a warning on the pc probe that the temperature had risen to 65. It also doesn't give me any trouble when I play warcraft 3 but when I play call of duty for even a few seconds, it immediately jumps up to 65-68 degrees on the pc probe and it alerts me. I'm thinking that the default cooling system that came with the CPU isn't good enough for high end gaming, but I have no idea why the temperature would jump so high with simply importing a CD to itunes.
Ignore PC Probe, focus entirely on Realtemp, what is that telling you when it's under load?
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0