Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Overheat, Overheat!

Yeah! It'll make alot of difference, trust me...thats what connects the CPU to the heatsink to get hot air to flow in the first place! Apply it!

Old 06-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
In Runtime

WOW TY guys!!! brb with a cooler PC...

Marshillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

you can use a razor to scrape it off but be sure not to gouge the heatsink. As to the chip it should be carefully cleaned with asoft rag and maybe just a dab of alcohol to soften it up. Just be sure to let it set so as to air dry the alchohol. When applying the new thermal paste...just a dab will do. Take just a spot on the chip so as that it will only cover the small mounting area. You do not want this to spread all over the place.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

wombat, I actually saw a heatsink glued to the chip with a hotglue stick. This was driving me nuts as when it heated up the glue would heatup also and release and then when the computer was cooled a bit the glue would adhear to the chip. Finally realized what was happening when I went to remove the chip and saw that it was glued to the socket. This was done by a teenager that took some computer classes and was messing around with MOM's computer. Needless to say that MOM was not a happy camper when I showed her what happened to her computer. LOL
Old 06-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
In Runtime

Describe how is the airflow of your case...

and put that new thermal paste...
r53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

Yea air flow is important as well.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
In Runtime

LADEEZ and GEENTELMEN (intentional misspelling), may I present to you:MBM 5, the cruddiest piece of crudware to roam the internet. MBM gave me readings that were not only off the charts (and thus false, try 167 F on for size lol), but it cause my computer to thus cut speed in half, which I propose is the source of my problem. And so I can save 30 bucks on some cruddy heatsink/thermal paste. I love happy endings....(In other words, if you have MBM, UNINSTALL NOWWWW!)
Marshillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

not really....ive used it and it has worked perfectly well for me. And please try to keep your sig to a 5 line maximum.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #19
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshillboy
LADEEZ and GEENTELMEN (intentional misspelling), may I present to you:MBM 5, the cruddiest piece of crudware to roam the internet. MBM gave me readings that were not only off the charts (and thus false, try 167 F on for size lol), but it cause my computer to thus cut speed in half, which I propose is the source of my problem. And so I can save 30 bucks on some cruddy heatsink/thermal paste. I love happy endings....(In other words, if you have MBM, UNINSTALL NOWWWW!)

Which is what I told you to do in this post here, (your first post with the overheating problem)

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=15575

this post is now gone by the way..
Old 06-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #20
Fully Optimized

Glad to hear that you got it worked out. I don't think that it is MBM at fault as speed fan gave the same readings....
I think that you have a bad sensor and was getting false readings that way. The bios reading comes from a different sensor that is built into the chip itself.