Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
In Runtime

Exclamation Overheat, Overheat!

I know this is the umpteenth time I have posted about my heat prob but here goes. OK, so pretty much all of you said to get some thermal paste and a new heatsink, right? Okay, so I go to Computer Stop and ask them, and they agreed that I had a heat prob, so I buy some nice compatible heatsink/fan combo. I go home, install it (I didn't redo the paste, is there a problem with new sink and old(er) paste?), and I start up my compie. I go into BIOS for heat stuff, and it says 32 C. Ok, good start, so I start up my computer, start up MBM and WHHHHAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT??????????????????????????? ????? The temperature had not changed 1 degree FARENHEIT (167)!!!!!! What the HECK is the matter ??!?!?! Did I do something wrong??? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Note:Sry to setishock (sry about spelling if it is wrong) about double posting, I will try not to again .

Marshillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Overheat, Overheat!

Your bios says that it is 32C then the MBM says that it is a lot more.
Uninstall the mbm and google for "speed fan" a free monitoring utillity. Don't do anything fancy with this as you can really damage your system. All you want to do is monitor the fans and temps and see what it says.
It could be that the MBM sensor is out of sync and not reading true temps. I don't think that you have ever mentioned that your bios reads as 32C before.

lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
In Runtime

Are you suggesting that mbm is crudding or controlling my sensors?? Everest detects the same readings.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I would have also reapplied the thermal paste since when you installed the new heatsink since some of the paste would have come off with the old one, and it would have dried, and so won't conduct properly.

I would advise to get some and do this again, but don't put too much on, just enough to cover the chip with a rather thin layer
Old 06-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshillboy
Okay, so I go to Computer Stop and ask them, and they agreed that I had a heat prob, so I buy some nice compatible heatsink/fan combo. I go home, install it (I didn't redo the paste, is there a problem with new sink and old(er) paste?), and I start up my compie. I go into BIOS for heat stuff, and it says 32 C. Ok, good start, so I start up my computer, start up MBM and WHHHHAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT??????????????????????????? ????? The temperature had not changed 1 degree FARENHEIT (167)!!!!!! What the HECK is the matter ??!?!?! Did I do something wrong??? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Note:Sry to setishock (sry about spelling if it is wrong) about double posting, I will try not to again .
This bit here intrigues me...

Quote:
I go home, install it (I didn't redo the paste, is there a problem with new sink and old(er) paste?),
Why didn't you apply new thermal grease?, this is a must for new heatsink installs.

You must have a deathwish for that cpu...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
In Runtime

Speedfan detects 167 F as well...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yeah I got a bit worried about that too, stated above

I'd buy some new thermal paste if i were you Marshillboy
Old 06-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
This bit here intrigues me...

Why didn't you apply new thermal grease?, this is a must for new heatsink installs.

You must have a deathwish for that cpu...
Ur kidding? Would it make a few C diff? EDIT:I HAVE paste...just...didnt...uhm....er...you....see...us e...it...kinda...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

I agree with the thermal...just more intrigued as to why bios reads one thing and everything else reads hotter. Unless you are misreading the readings in the bios.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
In Runtime

SOOOOO...should I try an install again? (PS:How do you remove and apply that stuff?)