Overclocking for the Winter: Is this Vcore 'OK'?

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Well, I finally decided to set up my overclock for the fall/winter months and I wanted to up my CPU Vcore up a bit to accept a higher OC. I already have it set to 3024Mhz at a Vcore of 1.376V-1.396. Now, I just up'ed the Vcore in the BIOS to 1.3875, But when I check CPU-Z, it reports a Vcore of 1.408V-1.424V.

What I want to know is, Is this a safe Vcore range for a AMD 5600+ X2? I am just about to run the stability test for this speed I'm running at right now, which is 3052Mhz. Bus Speed is 218Mhz, Mutiplier is 14x. Ram is running at 432Mhz and everything came up as a stable boot.

I just want to know if this is an OK Vcore. I have the old version of the core(Windsor) so it's on the 90nm Process. My temps before never went above 50C. Starting the testing now.

So is it OK?

Thanks for that!
So far testing with 3D Mark Vantage is going great! Highest temperature I have seen in Coretemp logs is a 51C Nothing over. Prime95 is next!

Sorry for double post, I didn't want to make another thread.

Stress testing my CPU with In-place Large FFT's in Prime95 I got an error message on thread #1(Core#1):

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I have no idea were stress.txt file is, but I got that error two times. Once it happened within a minute of the start of the test, the second it happened 4 minutes after the start of the test.

Now I know that this is 'bad'. Should I lower the speed down? Add more Voltage? I want to hit 3.1Ghz but I'm not sure. It run's through 3DMark Vantage fine. Did it twice successfully and I got a CPU score of 4527 both times. Before at 3024Mhz I got a 4365. This is all on performance mode.

So am I defeated, is this error fixable with anything else than a decrease in speed?

sorry for stealing the thread... but i have an question thats been crossing my mind lately.
Are we able to Up the Voltage as high as we want as long as the CPU stays within the Temperature range?

Are we able to Up the Voltage as high as we want as long as the CPU stays within the Temperature range?
No, not if you want your chip to live. Higher voltages can cause electromagnetic degradation or some complicated name like that which basically degrades your chip (ex: needing more volts to remain stable at a certain frequency), until it dies.
There is a lot of controversy as to where this limit is exactly, but it's pretty obvious that the tolerances are a lot lower with the 45nm process. Draw the line where you think is safe. If I had the cooling, I'd go to around 1.6V for 65nm and 1.45V 45nm.

Back
Top Bottom