Overclocking Troubles

Actually, the luck came with 1.2v. I realized that maybe 3.6 was a bit high, so I set my sights upon 3.4. I tested out a few configurations, and eventually, it worked out. I am now running at 3.4ghz very well with CPU voltage at 1.475 and FSB voltage at 1.2. My thanks to all who helped or tried to help, and this thread can be considered closed. I appreciate it everybody.

i dont think i needs to be closed yet,
download pc wizard 2008 and core temp and tell us what your temps are .
also run prime95

Congrats on getting it worked out!

How does your rig run now compared to when it wasn't OC'ed?

And yeah, get some thermal readings to be sure you are running at maximum stability.

1.475 is a very high vcore , like i said before mines 1.31
you proberly have very high temps and will need to lower the vcore to be 100% stable

If you want a 3.6GHz overclock then you will need a 1.475Vcore, I do. I have a mid-range aftermarket cooler and my max CPU temps under load are 60c. And when you are running at 3.6, you will need an FSB speed of 400 or above, therefore your north bridge needs to be able to handle those speeds. Try increasing the FSB termination and north bridge voltage slightly, not too much though. And make sure you are not trying to get your RAM to run at speeds that it is not capable of. Use a different multiplier.

give Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀 a pm. He is a member here and he seems to be pretty advanced on the subject of overclocking .I am sure he can give you some good advice on the next step to try.

Thanks for recommending there but I've been working all day so this is a bit of a late reply.

Okay well I guess he got everything working from a PM but I'll put in some thoughts.

This is what your working on that it wasn't able to boot. I'll quote recommendations after your current settings.

Multiplier: 9.0 (I'm not sure if the 780I's have FSB holes in them or not like the 680I. What this means is even though its capable to run at the speed you want the 1600QDR just is a hole. Solution would be dropping to a 8X multi and run a 1800QDR. In a way its actually benificial for the overclock then you can just run your memory in a 1:1 ratio at 900Mhz.)

FSB Clock: 1600 mhz (As I said above it could of been a possible hole or lack of voltage)

DDR2 Frequency: 973 mhz (What is your memory if you don't mind me asking? Its possible you could of just had this cranked up to high making your system unstable)

Vcore: 1.35V (Thats way low for 3.6Ghz especially on a quad core. The higher you go the more Vcore your going to need to make things stable)

Memory Voltage: 2.30V (Again back to the ram. Thats a pretty high voltage to achieve 973Mhz I only need 2.15 to hit 1066Mhz with my G.Skill. Please don't go above 2.3V or your going to run the risk of frying your memory. Take it back to manufacture spec voltage, set memory to manual and take it back to 800Mhz. After which take it up in 25Mhz increments. When it crashes do a slight overvolt IE .5 increase and see if it makes it stable.)

FSB Voltage: 1.20V (This is way low. Quads need FSB juice. Crank that up to 1.5V for 3.6Ghz)

SPP: Auto (I hate running things on auto. I recommend looking in the bios and seeing what the current auto settings are. Then set that at manual and possibly try reducing that step by step. Once it becomes unstable from torture tests you know you need to step back up to the previous stable voltage.

MCP: Auto (Same as SPP)

The idea between tweaking is getting the maximum clocks with the lowest possible voltages. The higher the voltages the faster the cpu wears down.

Now you said above you've seen people on worse coolers get the same clock.

First each chip will overclock differently. Just because one person hit it with certain settings doesn't mean you going to do it on the same settings. You may need higher voltage settings or you may be able to run less. Just the luck of the silicon you get!

Second temp wise you need to be very aware of ambient temps. Personally I hate when people post ultra cool temps but fail to mention they game in a sub zero enviroment. The colder the ambients the better the temps will be. So if you game in a hot environment you'll run hotter than someone with similar settings in a 10F degree lower ambient temp.

With that in mind be careful because if you don't have AC you may have to dial your clocks down a bit when summer comes because your CPU temps will go up.

Okay thats all I can think of ATM for a basic guideline.

Also @ cryman
lower the vcore to be 100% stable

That couldn't be further from the truth. The higher you go the more you need. If you don't have enough voltage thats what makes things unstable.

Happy overclocking man feel free to post your results up in my overclock database in my sig!

whoops thats not how i ment it ,
what i ment is that he might not need all 1.475v and its just making unessary heat that could crash his computer.

Back
Top Bottom