Overclocking Troubles

zlashed

Baseband Member
I am having major problems overclocking my Intel q6600. It runs stock at 2.4 ghz, and I successfully overclocked to 3.0ghz with no issues. I have a great aftermarket cooler so I thought it could run it at 3.6ghz with no overheating issues. So in BIOS I input these settings:

Multiplier: 9.0
FSB Clock: 1600 mhz
DDR2 Frequency: 973 mhz
Vcore: 1.35V
Memory Voltage: 2.30V
FSB Voltage: 1.20V
SPP: Auto
MCP: Auto

My computer is unable to boot with these settings for an unknown reason. I've taken all precautions I know how to, with no results. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

You wanna try overclocking gradually.

Start with the standard voltages, and increase the FSB until it becomes unstable. Then you up the voltages, then up the FSB and so on. Do it slowly, don't take one big leap. That may damage your hardware.

What MOBO do you have and do you know what core your Q6600 is?

Yeah, overclocking improves performance of your hardware, but at the cost of the lifespan. You can overclock the RAM, CPU and GPU. It is quite easy if you know what you are doing and you have the hardware to support it.

Note that a high overclock may destabilize your PC and greatly shorten the lifespan of the part you OC.

This may help both of you if you are interested: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=29837

I think I will wait until compman comes over I dont trust myself. But I am not worried about lifespan this baby has mileage on it and more to come!

I have an EVGA 780i motherboard and here are the full CPU specs > Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core.

No offense to you, Dark Knight, but could you please take your questions and random comments to your own thread instead of clogging this one with them? Thanks.

I'm Sorry, Dark Knight, I had a random burst of anger there, lol. Hmm... what do you mean by reducing my overclocking speed? Elaborate a bit for me. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom