Overclocking Risks

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok nowa days in all seriousnous what are the chances of damaging a CPu by overclocking,

i mean your sensible and dont do n e stupid jumps in votages isnt it now kinda unbreakable

if im right the majority of modern cpu's have technology where the hotter they run the slower they run causing less temp

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NxNUK3U73SI

do modern cpu's have the same tech as the intels featured there ?

reason im askin is coz ive never been much of an overclocker but i hear my e2160 can be quiet a processor when overclocked.

Nothing really.

Usually Transistors have a positive temperature coefficient. This means the higher the temperature the higher the resistance. And if you do your math then this will mean lower current through-put.

Thats why modern CPU's slow down as they get hot. But they do have they're limit. Early AMD's we're prone to overheating anyways. The new ones don't. They'll react the same way the Intels do when v' hot!

Just make sure you prep your system for OC'ing and don't OC in big steps.

Also watch your temperatures while your OC'ing.

And a lot of people say that you reduce the life of your system when you OC. As long as you get rid of the extra heat that's generated during OC'ing your not killing your set up.

It's the heat that reduces the life of your set up. So get rid of it the best as you can.

As for the video? Well I ask you to dismantle the cooling system on your car and do 200 miles in it and see what happens. HSF's are there for a reason.

:)

lol life span of my cpu is not a problem as you may have noticed i said e2160 not the CPU i plan on having for any longer than another year

Fair enough :)

You can see the point i'm trying to make tho.

The only thing you really need to look out for these days is your RAM modules.

Woah!

Now your talking.

Whats the C2D's?

I see what you mean. The E21** series hold their own pretty well.

Do you OC?

Electrical migration and Thermal degradation would be your biggest worries, that said most people this day and age change their cpu before these become a worry.

Have a read of this

:)

I was a afraid I'd damaged my Q6600 when the cooler wasn't properly secured (Intel push pins:rolleyes: ). But luckily overclocking potential wasn't reduced one bit.

if im right the majority of modern cpu's have technology where the hotter they run the slower they run causing less temp
<SNIP>
do modern cpu's have the same tech as the intels featured there ?

reason im askin is coz ive never been much of an overclocker but i hear my e2160 can be quiet a processor when overclocked.

That feature is usually disabled during over clocking. as OC'ing raises temps and that would want to slow your OC down because of the temp difference.

Back
Top Bottom