Overclocking Q?s

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok,

never bin a big overclocker but my e2160 is falling short of my expectations,

i unoficially swapped it for my Pentium D 820 and TBH i think the higher clock speed helped me on the P D on some applications so im hoping to boost my e2160

with some OC'ing

but i have never really overclocked with voltages i have raised the FSB but im scared of the voltages lol,

wot are the chances nowa days of burning out a CPU or breaking your hardware or will you get a BSOD first,

would i be safe if i jus raise it the smallest bit at a time, or is there any website that has like reccomended settings for each CPU.

e.g

e2160 speeds

voltage : default --- clock speed : default
voltage : +1 --- clock speed : + 200 Mhz

or something like that as i say im not really a voltage oc'er

just slowly by a very little raise the voltage then raise your fsb
also make sure your ram has enough juice and isnt holding you back

Just take it up in steps. Set your Vcore to 1.35V and see how high and hot the chip gets. Run Orthos for 30 minutes to make sure its semi stable. If it crashes within 30 Minutes its time to start raising voltages.

My next bump in Vcore would be to 1.375V and keep overclocking within that 30 minute Orthos margin. Keep a eye on your temps if there well within the threshold keep going as high as you want but in small steps like this.

Now lets say your getting close to your preference temp threshold. By which I mean if you don't want your chip getting over 55C for example when your temps are spiking at that temp is time to quit. Even though max temp threshold is higher than that maybe you don't want it getting that hot. So I'm using 55C as a example.

Your next step is making it completely stable. I normally run 3 hours of Orthos, some run a lot more its your preference. Keep in mind if your temps are hitting 55C in Orthos your likely max temp during gaming and actual productivity will probably never reach above 48C. Nothing stresses and heats your CPU up like Orthos does.

Now if you have to increase the Vcore to make the clock completely stable with your current config you'll have to either increase your temp tolerance range or decrease the FSB and see what you can make stable with your current Vcore.

IE say your at a 1333Mhz FSB with 1.375V and you passed a 30 minute Orthos test but your temps are around your 55C temp threshold. Its time to make this stable. Run Orthos for 3+ hours if it errors its time to decrease the FSB. Unless you want a slightly higher Vcore but that will add 1-2C to your temps. Say it crashed 50mins in. Try taking it back to a 1325 FSB and run the test. After it passes the 3+ hours you have a stable overclock within your temp preference.

For reference raising your FSB and your CPU clock speeds won't increase temps until you start raising your voltages. If you go in small steps like this your most likely not going to break anything.

Its people that instantly try and jump massive voltages that fry things. Don't do this until you have a good idea of were temps are on the boards/parts your working with. When you have a pretty good idea were you'll be with what settings doing a bit of jumping is alright.

Also for reference keep a eye on your ambient room temps. If its winter out and your room is a lot colder than it would be in the summer keep a reference. When it starts warming up to summer temps repeat the whole process for a summer clock. If your room ambients don't change over the course of a year don't worry about it. If they do see if your board has overclock profiles. I have 3 different profiles for mine. A extremely hot Ambient profile, then a 8X multi Profile, and my max overclock profile. When summer hits I drop it back to the hot ambient temp profile.

thanks for your helps guys ill play with it later and c wot i get too,

im currently on standard HS&F so ill buy aftermarket soon

Back
Top Bottom