Overclocking Pentium D

Impruv said:
I really want to overclock it.....so I should put a fan when I open the side while playing games i guess, I'm sure just browsing the net would not need better cooling; only on load right?

As long as I clean it out once in a while; it should be fine?

Stupid Question: What should I use to clean out when dust collects? A vacuum or the compressed air you are talking about...where exxactly can I get 'compressed air'?

Well the best thing for u would be to get a new heatsink & fan for the cpu. It will cost like maybe $50, but it will help alot when oc'ing.

And yes the dust is not going to be a problem unless the computer hasn't been cleaned in 10 years.

And I'd say the compressed air would be best, but a vacuum cleaner is fine too. And just try any electronics or computer shop for the compressed air.

Mr. F said:
I heard that's a bad idea. jac or Alvino?

Hahaha... nice, I like your thinking. Yeah, stock cooling oc'ing can get very dangerous. The D is not an oc'ing cpu. With a fan such as a zalman, like this: ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail at Newegg.com
yeah, you might be able to oc a little bit over the normal rate. You could do more, but the cpu would get pretty hot. To be a hardcore oc'er, you need to either have liquid cooling or phase change cooling. Phase change is the best and the most expensive, but liquid cooling will do the job well. HOwever, both solutions can get messy or can leak if not done properly, etc. A fan pointing towards an open case would probably help the gpu, but not the cpu. You need a constant, direct air-flow to really cool the cpu properly. Stock cooling I don't suggest oc, again. Just a bad idea. Plus, if you don't know how to oc, things can melt. Like the cpu. And the motherboard. And others things. There are a lot of things involved in oc'ing. It's not just "oh, let's make the cpu ghz level a little higher and that's it". No. You have to increase the ram speed, among others. Keep in mind, when you're doing this yourself, you're going to want to take baby steps to find your maximum overclock. Also chipset voltage and HT voltage have to be increased, if it applies. Also, the multiplier. The multiplier times the clock frequency (CPU frequency) equals your processor's new clock speed. There is more, too, but none here. Unless most of what I said makes sense, I would suggest that you do not oc until you have an adequate understanding and you have excellent cooling. Hope this helps. :D

I understood most of it but I guess I won't overclock yet due to my horrible cooling..

On another note, where can I better my knowledge of OC'ing?

Ziirou Requin said:
You can overclock just fine with air cooling. Even with stock cooling you can do a modest OC.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/91-ultimate-overclocking-guide.html

This is an Intel Prescott core here. These things get hot.

Now, get this, put two Prescott cores, and put them together. What do you get, an Intel D

Right now, my CPU is hot as is, compared to a AMD CPU. Any futher, and something might happen.

Please notice that the guide you posted, is in the AMD section of the board, not Intel.

Mr. F said:
This is an Intel Prescott core here. These things get hot.

Now, get this, put two Prescott cores, and put them together. What do you get, an Intel D

Right now, my CPU is hot as is, compared to a AMD CPU. Any futher, and something might happen.

Please notice that the guide you posted, is in the AMD section of the board, not Intel.
Yep, u owned him pretty bad :D

Back
Top Bottom