Overclocking...my bios is locked is there software?

rdcmmnst

Daemon Poster
Like i said i want to overclock my computer not very much just a little bit and i want to do it without having to mess with the ram very much i will if it's needed but i'd rather not. i know i could do this if changed the multiplier but is there software to download that could do this since my bios is locked?

what motherboard do you own? cause if its asus i think they offer a windows software which can OC you processor.

it could very well be your processor stopping you as well, as some processors do have locked multipliers to stop you overclocking them. Not all processors are multiplier un-locked and some don't offer easy overclocking.

Athong 64 models are unlocked, though XP models for instance aren't and need some tinkering on the chip itself... I'm not too sure about Pentiums, but these tend to be easier.

Your RAM can also be a major part in overclocking, and so might have to be, though you also need a good enough motherboard to take the extra strain, and not forgetting a good power supply to give it extra juice.

It is true that some motherboards can have overclocking software, ones made by ABIT usually do.

But first, you have to check if your processor itself can be un-locked to overclock it using multipliers. I'm sure there are other ways to overclock without using these, though i doubt you can get as good overclocks.

I hope this helps :)

thank you kage.... this may sound really stupid but is there a way to find my processor without opening the computer. I did and i still can't seem to find a brand name. i know what kind of a processor i have and it's a celeron d 2.8 i have 2 128 kingston ram and a 256 elixir ram. I had my computer built for me so i'm not for sure what kind i have. Any info would be great

A celeron is an Intel, the brand that made Pentiums :)

For the motherboard if you don't know the brand and code of that, download this program:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Its a nice little program and will tell you all about your computer. From there, we can see if your motherboard is meant to overclock, and how good the feature is. The motherboard you see is also a worthy asset to overlcoking since it can have safety features and the like, and of course because it carries all the bus information, it is very valuable for overclocking.

As for your different brands of RAM modules, you might find this will cause a problem while overclocking, as each one will have different latency timings (Kingston being better I think). This might affect the performance of overclock you can get before your RAM would become unstable and crash the PC.
You should be able to get at least some, though I don't know how good of one... I've never really tried overclocking you see.
They do say though you should stick to the same brands while buying ram

Celeron D is actually a new processor, and is a good little performer, though I'm trying to research for you if the multipler is locked. I have a horrible feeling it is, which would mean you would only have the Front Side Bus (FSB), and voltages to mess with (Don't know about other things), though if it did have an un-locked multipler, of course you could push it harder, but you probably will find the RAM will push you back quite a bit :(

When you do get it sorted though, rise up by about 5mhz increments, and don't try to jump it to one straight away. That is def the best way of doing it, as you can see where it starts becoming unstable, etc.

I hope this helps

Kage thanks alot i am learning tons and appreciate the time and effort you have taken for me. If there's anything i can do for you (although on a computer forum where your status is guru and mine is newbie i doubt there is) let me know.

Kage i think you're right i probably won't overclock my computer unitl i need to but i think it would be fun just to overclock just a tad to say i did haha.

aw thanks :)

yea hehe, i will overclock my 3500+ once I get a better CPU fan (the stock fan just won't do for overclocking :( ) Though luckily, even a rather cheap AMD fan built for 64bit Athlons will cool down the CPU at least 17 degrees more than the stock one will. Rather kewl huh?

Heat issues is def something you should think about before overclocking. Even a small overclock, and possibly an increase in voltages will send the temperature going up a few degrees.

I'm sure you'll figure out what to do :p You downloaded that program to see your motherboard?

KAGE YOU ROCK!! that program worked wonderfully this is my motherboard

Intel Desktop Board D915PGN

I have speedfan installed on my computer. My computer came with stock fans but i did pay a little extra for my case and i have looke and i think i have a good cooling system. What temperature should i aim for

Back
Top Bottom