overclocking my amd...

dude_se

Proper Legend
i have amd sempron 3000 processor which i want to overclock. i cant see any options in the bios (this pc was made by compaq) and i dont know what programs to use. i have looked everywhere with no luck so im looking for some software to use or ways to unlock the settings in the bios (either by flashing a new bios or any other way). i do not really know what my motherboard is. all i can see on it that looks like the motherboard number is "n1996".
lemme know if you have any ideas....

Alternate BIOS or Clockgen are your only options. Clockgen probably won't work, and an alternate BIOS is risky and could render your computer useless. So, don't bother.

If you really wanted to, you could get a new motherboard...I bet you could reach 2.3-4Ghz with decent cooling.

Ah, yes, that's also true. But, if you get a new motherboard, you'll need to reinstall Windows XP, I think. I did see something mentioning that uninstalling the IDE controllers for your motherboard right before you shut down your computer for a "final time" before you install the new motherboard will work too, but I'm not sure.

Nah, you dont need to reinstall XP, just repair the installation. That way, you get to keep all your settings, programs, files, you get the picture.

i dont want no new motherboard. just a way of doing it safely. i tried clock gen but it asked me for my motherboard type or something and there was a list, i didnt know what to choose. ill try that alternate bios thing. oh is there a way to do it on my old amd athlon pc which is 500mhz? i think its also locked in the bios but ill check

You cannot use "overclock" and "safely" in the same sentance.

Find an alternate BIOS then if you really want to OC. Might not be worth the bother though..

seems like a lot of work. i just wanted to increase the settings a little using a piece of software. clock gen seemed to work but i just need to select my motherboard from the list.

all i could find on the board is "n1996" as i said. its a compaq presario pc. not sure what motherboards they put in them so someone might know...

Back
Top Bottom