overclocking/heat

xboxjox3

Baseband Member
is it pretty much a sure thing that any overclocking worth the performance requires something better than the stock heatsink/fan? Also, does anyone know a good website explaining how to overclock? Thanks.

Not necessarily - it depends on the quality and brand of your parts and how far you want to push it. I've heard many a story of AMDs being insanely overclocked (some almost a full gigahertz) with the stock cooling. Just make sure you know what you're doing and what you're system is doing. Keep a close eye on those temps. As for overclocking sites, well, do I even need to say it? GOOGLE!

It seems to depend like spank said with the parts in your computer. Some are great at overclocking, some not so much. I did a small overclock on my computer(specs in sig) and I didnt see any increase in temperature. I overclocked to 2.4Ghz from the stock 2.2Ghz. I don't know if that's really considered a worthwhile increase but it did contribute to a performance gain. I was actually suprised to not see a temp increase but I think if i was to go higher things would start to get hotter and some more case fans or water cooling might be needed. Either way the best way to find out if you need better cooling is just to go ahead and overclock in small increments and keep an eye on temps.

AMD is the overclocking processor ... P4 doesn't really do a good job seeing as though it is not as designed for gaming purposes for, say, AMD Athlon 64 3200+

my specs say it ... i love overclocking i bought a slower cpu purposly to save the extra cash and just oced it this high :) i have a volcano 12 and
as i'm typiung this its 55 degrees... keeping in mind i have a volcano 12 running at the lowest rpm prolly 2700RPM if i had it at max i think 5000RPM itd be at around 48C ????? so u cant go wrong... overclocking with stock parts ... i did that before the cpu gets up there in the 80s C one time i unpluged the fan by accident and before i even got into windows starting it up it overheated and shut down it was 90 degrees once i got it to start back up. lol it was so hot i couldnt turn it on for a while the hole case was burning up

Back
Top Bottom