esa193

Fully Optimized
any one want to help me on overclocking my 9800 gtx
mydesktop.jpg

heres my desktop
now i belive its already factory overclocked? not to sure
any way
what do you guys think
oh and web browsing my cpu is around 38 stock cooling not bad at all right?
think i can get this bad boy up to 3ghz?
and rams at 800
ocz 4G
what can i expect to get out of that

ignor the photo in the top right corner of icons
i forgot that was theres its nothing shes actuly pretty cute

now i belive its already factory overclocked? not to sure
any way
That's stock speeds for a 9800GTX.

Start with the core clock, increase in small increments (say, 20Mhz) at a time, testing for stability with a quick stress test in between, (Guru3D have a good fur test that I like to use: http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-v1.4.0_d1965.html)
OC one clock at a time, this will allow you to eliminate variables so you can obtain the max with that clock before moving to the next.
Once you have found the max for the core, move on to the memory clock and repeat the process

After you could perhaps do a BIOS flash to get a little more juice going through the core, if you feel up to it...
oh and web browsing my cpu is around 38 stock cooling not bad at all right?
Idle temps have no real meaning, What are the temps under load?

in bioshock or crysis i havnt seen my temps go past 54 and thats for a breif second that they jump back down to 52

core 0 and 1 max temp was 60 but would go between that and 58
2and3 would stay between 56-58

70 max? seems a little high
raising the fsb shouldnt increase my temperature right?

nope, increasing the vcore will though. What are you reading your cpu temps with? What is the TjMax? What is your vcore currently? What is your VID? 3.0GHz on the stock cooler may be pushing your luck, keep a close eye on temps if you do try it. (I assume an increase in vcore will be necessary to reach 3.0GHz therefore greater heat output)

You don't say which board you have so i would suggest you start with 2.8GHz, 400*7, see if you can run stable at that, your memory should run at a 1:1 ratio at DDR2 800MHz at that setting.

My 9800GTX will run at 775/2000/2400 (core, shader, memory) max, this gives artifacts in 3DMark06 but completes the benchmark so I would consider that the max clocks for my card, yours may be different.

Overclock one thing at a time, it makes troubleshooting easier.

i use core temp
uhhh my vcore not sure
every things set on stock factory settings
as for motherboard im running an nvidia 780i

check your vcore with cpuz
VID will be displayed in Core Temp as will TjMax
What TjMax is Core temp using, 105°C by default but I found 100°C was "more accurate" for my chip, your call.

780i and quads were "troublesome" overclockers iirc, will your board run a 400MHz FSB (it should do)

Did you try 400*7???

Back
Top Bottom