Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: Overclocking?

Haha, I guess I too got a bit winded up. I am not saying that 680i is the mobo to go with the quads. If I had to recommend the mobo, I would tell the OP to get the P5E3, or an MSI P35 Platinum.

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

@ Thelis:

I was gonna reply to your post but realized that True already explained it to you; reducing core voltage = lower temps. I figured out what my minimum settings should be, and simply set my voltage to the lowest possible value. Having the G0 chip greatly reduced operating temps and the ability to OC.

I'm sure you already knew that, though.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

P35 chipset or X38 or 780i or 790i or later on the X48 imo but as he already has the 680i the point is moot, we just have to give him a hand to get what he can out of the board, I don't know what advances have been made or if there has been a revison of that board released that fixes the problem or if the one he owns has that problem yada yada yada because I stopped researching it when I bought my P5K and later my current P5E3
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGT View Post
@ Thelis:

I was gonna reply to your post but realized that True already explained it to you; reducing core voltage = lower temps. I figured out what my minimum settings should be, and simply set my voltage to the lowest possible value. Having the G0 chip greatly reduced operating temps and the ability to OC.

I'm sure you already knew that, though.
Yeah, I agree with you fully. I am just saying that you don't want to lower your voltages too much, because then your processor won't post. At some point, you will have to raise them.

It is obvious that more volts= more FSB. The temperature just depends on the level of vcore, so lowering it would certainly help with the temps.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Yeah, I agree with you fully. I am just saying that you don't want to lower your voltages too much, because then your processor won't post. At some point, you will have to raise them.

It is obvious that more volts= more FSB. The temperature just depends on the level of vcore, so lowering it would certainly help with the temps.
Exactly. With stock 2.4ghz (no OC) I could lower the voltage to unbelievable values. As I began to OC, it was obvious that the VCore has to be raised because of the demand for more power. If you can find that sweet spot where the Vcore isn't TOO low nor too high, you're set. It just takes a few tries; like you said, sometimes the computer will restart and post an error, or sometimes you realize your temps are ridiculously high. Trial and error will be your key, but using it wisely will be your safety cushion.