Overclocking

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

i built my mates new pc which is a C2D e 6320 with 2 GB 667 Mhz RAM and Asus Motherboard

and it runs great but he was trying to overclock seeing as his temps only at 32'C and fan at 800 Rpm so he trying to get it to work a bit harder

so he started raising the FSB in the Bios i think he got moved it up by like 5 FSB at a time and checked clock speed at 210 and it was at 2GHZ so he jumped to 220 and the pc booted into windows and turned itself off so he paniced and reset it back to 200 lol

surely he can go faster than this y is it unstable ???

its not the temps coz they were not even reaching 40'C and the fan was not going above 1000 Rpm

how can he O C more ?

what kinda speeds can he expect to achieve with stock HS&F

People are hitting 3 Ghz+ with the stock heatsink. The problem is he needs to raise voltages somewhere. Vcore, NB Vcore, SB Vcore (don't raise this much, you might not even need to), and Vdimm.

Make sure he is running a 1:1 ratio with the FSB:RAM dividers. It's usually an option that says DDR2 followed by a number, I think this needs to be set to DDR2-533. It will show it increase as you raise FSB.

Hope that helps.

Edit:

Some useful programs to download are Coretemp and Speedfan (temperature and fan speed monitoring) and CPU-Z, which tells you about your clock speeds and RAM timings. That reminds me, loosening up the ram timings a bit can help to keep you from hitting a wall when overclocking, and you will sacrifice little performance.

hmm maybe he should just leave it sounds a bit comlicated to me and i am the one who is ment to be teaching him how to do it :confused:

Yeah look it over. Some of the really important stuff is really later in the guide. If all else fails use CPUcool. I used that to OC and it works really well. (I am not spamming, I just really like the product)

Overclocking Intel is a pain in the butt. It really is. Its so much more complicated than an AMD, which is up the voltage, up the HTT. Intel, its about what the NB can handle and what the chip can handle. You need to up the voltage for the NB and cpu while maintaining RAM timings as FSB and memory speed scale proportionaly.

It's a pain in the butt, but it's addicting to see how far you can push your system :)

Back
Top Bottom