Outlook/Url issue.

Brad2theBone

Beta member
Okay...

First off let me start by saying there is Third Party software installed that this company uses for all their database related things.

Sooo...

In Outlook there is a .pdf link. So when this particular user clicks the link, it initiates the workstation installation wizard for the 3rd party software. Everyone else including me at my office can open it and see the pdf. But when he copies the URL and pastes it in a browser it works fine. Is there anything in Outlook that you might think of that can interfere like this?

Thanks for reading.

I don't exactly understand that. What is wrong? When they paste it in a browser, does it work? Or not work?
Where doesn't it work?

a PDF is a type of doucment used for reading manuals/books downloaded off the net. I didn't think it could initiate a installer...

Confused... but wants to help

No no. I know what a pdf is.

It's a hyperlink to a .pdf download. So normally he would click the link in his mail message through outlook. It would take him to the site and open up adobe and he could see it. But when he clicks the link to view the pdf, it opens up the installer wizard for some bizarre reason. But if he copies the url from the message and pastes it in his browser it works fine. So my guess is it's outlook creating a problem.

Hmm, i get you now :p

So it's only on his that the hyperlink loads the installer, to suggest that adobe isn't installed, yet running it from Internet Explorer (maybe) it boots the document straight away, knowing that it is installed.

Right, I might know what it is, but I don't use Outlook Express anymore, so I'll be able to tell you what the problem may be, but won't be able to tell you exactly how to fix it.

Go into Tools, Options, and check if it is set up to run hyperlinks in the standard internet browser. It might not know what to run the hyperlink with, because you might have two browsers with one not having Adobe Acrobat Reader, because it is a plugin for a browser when running it like this. (EDIT: I ran the program and couldn't find this...)

There would be something about this i'm sure somewhere. For example, switch it to the browser you copied the hyperlink to :)

If you can't find this option, does it allow you to right click the hyperlink, and select what program to run it with?

EDIT: With the browser you ran and copied the hyperlink to it, does it by any chance say it is not the default browser? If so, say to make it the default browser and hopefully Outlook Express will see this and run it with that browser)

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom