Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #71
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl
Default Re: OS Wars ........again

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
It's just my preferred way of doing things really - I can get a working system in a matter of minutes, and then take my time rebuilding the kernel / uninstalling what I don't want to when I get time.

If I had a while spare on the trot that's the approach I'd probably take though, thanks for the heads up
No problem. I find it's easier to do it this way than the way you do it because there are a lot of things that are inter-linked and I have to set about removing a lot of things here and there before I can get rid of the main bloat.

Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #72
Omnicide now.

I just install every Debian disk (it's like 5 DVD's now) and keep everything on them.
It doesn't seem to slow it down at all.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #73
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I just install every Debian disk (it's like 5 DVD's now) and keep everything on them.
It doesn't seem to slow it down at all.
It's not a case of things being slow or not, it's a case of having all these things I don't want. For example, Tomboy, OpenOffice.org, Evolution, Movie Player, Rhythmbox, any printer-related applications, F-Spot, XSane, Ekiga Softphone, Transmission, Brasero and the GNOME games are all things I don't want and will never use, so why have them?

I'm not actually all that fond of GNOME or KDE either, and usually prefer to just use Openbox where I can (although my desktop machine still has GNOME just because I haven't done anything much with it for over a year >.<). I like to maximise the resources I can use by minimising what my operating system uses, so any excess applications are given the boot straight away.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #74
Omnicide now.

Funny, all the things you listed are the main things i DO want.

I don't really care much if i have extra stuff because I have enightenment E-16 so I have a mac dock with all the programs I use.

EDIT: Oh ^$#% bad place to typo.
If u have already read my post, i meant for that to be an 'o' in the word dock...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #75
Daemon Poster

Fair enough.

I get very fussy about the applications that I use, though. I guess we're just different kinds of users.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #76
Omnicide now.

LOL yeah, I got another one for the foothead FAIL log.

Has anyone here ever used freeBSD?
I have a friend that uses it, and he says it is very good.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #77
Baseband Member

The only big difference between OSX and Windows is that OSX has a 30sec start up time.... Linux also has a 30 sec start up time on my comp ( I got it Dual booted)

I think soon Linux is gonna become a serious competitor on the market, but first they need to make it more gamer friendly.

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Tofu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #78
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu007 View Post
The only big difference between OSX and Windows is that OSX has a 30sec start up time.... Linux also has a 30 sec start up time on my comp ( I got it Dual booted)

I think soon Linux is gonna become a serious competitor on the market, but first they need to make it more gamer friendly.
You are sooooo wrong here.
Windows and OS X are not the same in any way. They never had the same base system, they use different FS types, etc.

I doubt the linux thing too. ASUS promoted it for a while, but people demanded windows.
Windows on a netbook...what a joke...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #79
Baseband Member

Lol how does Windows on a netbook work. Those things hold like 1gb of ram max. Those ppl must have a lot of time on there hands to be waiting that long for a program to start

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Tofu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #80
Omnicide now.

2gb on mine now.

Its xp home, but it was at 100% load for 12 secs before IE could open.
Glad i bought the atom linux version.