OS Wars ........again

still not certain why but i am not sold on using linux anything. It's free and so many people like it but i guess its just not for me.

And I have no problem with that. I agree that for about 99% of the general public, Windows or mac should be sufficient, It's just that 1% or so where something else is necessary.

True. It is very programmer oriented. I just don't think it will ever be mainstream, due to the difficulty it takes to fix stuff :p

I can't believe I'm actually having a civilized conversation regarding different operating systems :p

It's not programmer-oriented at all and it's not that hard to fix things, either. Furthermore, I don't understand why you struggled to get help - every time I've had a problem, it's been a simple case of talking to someone/doing some searching and getting it working. :S

And I have no problem with that. I agree that for about 99% of the general public, Windows or mac should be sufficient, It's just that 1% or so where something else is necessary.

Your numbers are a little out. Additionally, anything Windows or OS X can do, Linux can do or be made to do. That's the beauty of open source software.

Your numbers are a little out. Additionally, anything Windows or OS X can do, Linux can do or be made to do. That's the beauty of open source software.

Can it run Photoshop CS3/CS4, Live Messenger, iTunes, CPU-Z, and RealTemp?...

^ Bigger question, can it run those programs efficiently?

This.

It needs to work, and work well if I were to make the full time switch to linux sometime in the future. Until they start getting mainstream support from mainstream companies, linux will never be mainstream, no matter what anyone says about it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a novelty, but I'd say it's been a very long work in progress that is no where near finished yet.

I know it'll never happen, but the day stuff runs universally between the big 3 (linux, mac, windows), will truly be a happy day. :D

True. It is very programmer oriented. I just don't think it will ever be mainstream, due to the difficulty it takes to fix stuff :p

Yes, but that only works for programs that are on the main linux server thingy. In other words, it only works for a select list of stuff. And it doesn't do me much good if I don't have a video card or lan driver =P At least that's how it was last time I tried it.

Don't think I didn't notice that you changed your posts after I proved you wrong. :p

OK, try to find one linux application that isn't on there. (i mean real ones, not 'hey look what I made last night' or something.)

Back
Top Bottom