OS Wars ........again

No, I'm not blaming Microsoft for not giving me the drivers.
The problem is that I cannot get the drivers to install. Whether this is MS's fault, or the manufacturer, or whoever, it still doesn't change the fact that there is no way to make it work.

Would you really want an OS with none of your drivers?

No, I'm not blaming Microsoft for not giving me the drivers.
The problem is that I cannot get the drivers to install. Whether this is MS's fault, or the manufacturer, or whoever, it still doesn't change the fact that there is no way to make it work.

Would you really want an OS with none of your drivers?

True. It's like trying to drive a car without tires.

I personally dislike linux though. I believe I already stated that though. Major lack of compatibility and support IMO :p

They have a lot of linux drivers now. In fact the system has most the needed drivers built-in, and they will set themselves up so you don't have to fool with them. If you are an AMD fanboy, such as myself, then AMD provides linux drivers and programs for a good bit of their stuff.

Like I mentioned earlier, Linux is simply a novelty at this point. It's simply not made for mainstream use.

Like I mentioned earlier, Linux is simply a novelty at this point. It's simply not made for mainstream use.
I agree to a point ;)
They have a lot of linux drivers now. In fact the system has most the needed drivers built-in, and they will set themselves up so you don't have to fool with them. If you are an AMD fanboy, such as myself, then AMD provides linux drivers and programs for a good bit of their stuff.

I've just had a lot of bad experiences with it. I've tried it 2 or 3 times in the past, and haven't been able to get drivers for various things, such as lan or graphics. Also, it was like learning everything over again, I just want to install something, not the command prompt sudo apt- install whatever mumbo jumbo. Also, the forums were so unhelpful it was funny. So basically I had no clue what I was doing, nor could I find drivers, and no one wanted to help me. So I just gave up.

I don't really agree on this. Yes, it is not mainstream, but I wouldn't consider it a 'novelty' It is a more programmer-oriented OS, until recently, when it has begun to become mainstream (thanks especially to ubuntu, debian, fedora among others)

A few of my friends don't even have windows any more. I do, but thats just for gaming.

I don't really agree on this. Yes, it is not mainstream, but I wouldn't consider it a 'novelty' It is a more programmer-oriented OS, until recently, when it has begun to become mainstream (thanks especially to ubuntu, debian, fedora among others)

A few of my friends don't even have windows any more. I do, but thats just for gaming.

True. It is very programmer oriented. I just don't think it will ever be mainstream, due to the difficulty it takes to fix stuff :p

I can't believe I'm actually having a civilized conversation regarding different operating systems :p

Yeah, you no longer have to
Code:
 # sudo apt-get install '^#$^@#@'

Now there is a program built in to both debian and ubuntu (not sure about others) that you just check the box and it installs.

Yeah, you no longer have to
Code:
 # sudo apt-get install '^#$^@#@'

Now there is a program built in to both debian and ubuntu (not sure about others) that you just check the box and it installs.

Yes, but that only works for programs that are on the main linux server thingy. In other words, it only works for a select list of stuff. And it doesn't do me much good if I don't have a video card or lan driver =P At least that's how it was last time I tried it.

No, it has an option that says 'all available applications' that has a TON of programs, at least I cant find one that isn't listed on it...

ping.png

Back
Top Bottom