Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default OS Not Found. Virus?

I unplugged my comptuer and took it with me for a trip. When I got there, I hooked it up and turned it on to find the message saying OS not found. After a bit of troubleshooting, I decide to take off the battery for the motherboard. Turned it back on and it worked. But my video is not the same anymore, internet certificates are missing, icons are missing on some programs. Could this have been the work of a virus?

yankie_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: OS Not Found. Virus?

It sounds like it. Is the computer running slow, or anything quirky going on? You can try a command driven repair, if you have a windows disk, or just do a full format. For instructions on a command driven repair just email me via my website.

www.computersourcesc.com
computersources is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I don't know about a virus. It could be a bad/dying hard drive.

I'd back up as much data as you can. Keep in mind that a 'full format' will erase all your data (documents/pictures/etc).
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
I don't know about a virus. It could be a bad/dying hard drive.

I'd back up as much data as you can. Keep in mind that a 'full format' will erase all your data (documents/pictures/etc).
it's a brand new harddrive, a month old. been downloading stuff lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computersources View Post
It sounds like it. Is the computer running slow, or anything quirky going on? You can try a command driven repair, if you have a windows disk, or just do a full format. For instructions on a command driven repair just email me via my website.

well it's a new drive, i bought a 1TB seagate and since I bought it, it hasn't been that great, computer to my old 500GB one. i'm not sure if the massive size is causing data access to be a bit slower.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankie_1132 View Post
it's a brand new harddrive, a month old. been downloading stuff lately.

well it's a new drive, i bought a 1TB seagate and since I bought it, it hasn't been that great, computer to my old 500GB one. i'm not sure if the massive size is causing data access to be a bit slower.
Unfortunately just because its new that doesnt mean its good. On seagate's website they have a diagnostic tool that I'd just to play it safe.

Typically, when I see this, it's not a virus but a hardware issue. Since it occurred after moving the system, I would double check all connections inside the system to make sure they are good.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Baseband Member

if it is that new i would call the manufacturer tech support before messing with it too much and voiding any warranty it might have came with we all know how sneaky the fine print can be

celegorm your sig is too long 5 lines maximum including blank lines...

even moderators should follow there own rules, i dont break rules on my servers and expect other people not to break them
btcchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcchris View Post
if it is that new i would call the manufacturer tech support before messing with it too much and voiding any warranty it might have came with we all know how sneaky the fine print can be

celegorm your sig is too long 5 lines maximum including blank lines...

even moderators should follow there own rules, i dont break rules on my servers and expect other people not to break them
Unless you open the hard drive, the warranty stays intact. Just don't mess with the stickers on it. Don't throw it either. They can tell.

His signature is fine. It is 5 lines including spaces.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
Unless you open the hard drive, the warranty stays intact. Just don't mess with the stickers on it. Don't throw it either. They can tell.

His signature is fine. It is 5 lines including spaces.
going way off topic here im not gona take over the mans thread but i would call tech support just to cover yourself, that plus i think they can be way more help than a "general computer hardware forum" just because they are the manufacturer its kind of like taking a brand new Cadillac to carmax for a repair it might work sometimes but gm wont like it lol

btw i count 6 idk maybe i counted wrong but i just got an "infraction" for too long of a sig because i had a space
btcchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Solid State Member

I guess I can try a reformat on the drive to see if the problem will go away. someone mentioned that it may be from the move. but at the same spot, after having it power on, i unplugged the hard drive, plugged it back in and it gave me the same NO OS message, until i took off the motherboard battery.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcchris View Post
going way off topic here im not gona take over the mans thread but i would call tech support just to cover yourself, that plus i think they can be way more help than a "general computer hardware forum" just because they are the manufacturer its kind of like taking a brand new Cadillac to carmax for a repair it might work sometimes but gm wont like it lol

btw i count 6 idk maybe i counted wrong but i just got an "infraction" for too long of a sig because i had a space
Many of our members are trained professionals in the IT field. We know what we are talking about. Sadly, much more than many technical support lines. Horrible comparison with that situation, by the way.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote