Ordering a new computer from the states - possibly iBuyPower

MegaMaccer

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm new here, as I'm sure you can see. I've been tossing up the idea of whether or not to get a gaming machine for a while, and I've decided to take the plunge. Once I decided to get one, I had to choose between pre-built or homemade. Since I live in NZ, prices of parts are ridiculous, so it would work out better to get a pre-built machine from the states rather than build my own here. To give you a bit of an example, the computer I'm planning on getting is going to cost me approx 2000 NZD if I buy it from the states, or 4000 NZD if I build it here. No competition ;)

That's all besides the point, anyway. I've listed the stats of the machine below, I apologise for the format. It's a direct copy paste from the iBuyPower site.

Case 1 x NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case-Black w/ Blue Light
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)-
Processor Cooling 1 x Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155]-[Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1.2GB - EVGA Superclocked-Single Card
Motherboard 1 x [SLI] Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, Lucid Virtu Technology-
Intel Smart Response Technology 1 x SSD Cache - 30 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series-
Power Supply 1 x 800 Watt -- Standard-
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
2nd Optical Drive 1 x [10X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive-Black
Flash Media Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 External USB Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-
Meter Display 1 x NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature Display-
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-
Operating System 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel)-64-Bit
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse-
Monitor 1 x 27" LCD 1920x1080 -- Sceptre X270W-1080P

On top of that they're tossing in 2 games and a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive. My questions are as follows; Is this a decent computer? Will it run everything at full throttle, including Bad Company II? Are iBuyPower good or bad (So many people with so many views on this)? And are there better/other US companies that offer similar/better services than iBuyPower? I've gotten in touch with IronSide computers, they're doing a price for me as I type this. The upside of IronSide is the international shipping, meaning I could skip the middleman I'd have to work with should I use iBuyPower. I'll stop here before this wall of text gets too big, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Should be fine. ibuypower isn't the best, but they're also not the worst. I've been watching folks who get systems from them lately and no one's really reported any issues.

As long as the price is right, and you're happy (looks to be about right given what you've put into the system). Is the 4000 NZD the price from an OEM (like ibuypower) or if you build it yourself?

Should be fine. ibuypower isn't the best, but they're also not the worst. I've been watching folks who get systems from them lately and no one's really reported any issues.

As long as the price is right, and you're happy (looks to be about right given what you've put into the system). Is the 4000 NZD the price from an OEM (like ibuypower) or if you build it yourself?

NZ price is what I'd pay if I build it myself. You can add to that $4000 the price of a monitor, keyboard, and OS. I'm getting Ironside computers to give me a quote, I'd rather go with them, but we'll see how it prices up.

Oh good luck, that sucks that you can't build it yourself for less. Oy.

Why not get the parts from the states? :) And build it yourself, I bet you can save more money.

Could, but shipping costs may nullify the difference, but it's a good point.

Back
Top Bottom