Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default optical drive fried?

I started burning some data onto a DVD+R drive for my friend. half way through burning, the software (Roxio Creator DE) reported that it stopped after saving 1.2 GB onto the disk. thinking it was an issue with the software, I tried taking out the disk. I pushed the eject button but nothing happened. When I turned off the computer, I inserted a paperclip into the little emergency eject hole and pried it open with a knife. took out the DVD, restarted (took lothnger than normal to boot), and went to My Computer,and what do you know but the DVD drive doesnt show up. Same in Device Manager... So I pop the drive open (the button worked this time), put in a CD-ROM, and went to My Computer again, no luck.Go to take the CD out again, drive wont open...

So, it opens when theres no disk in the drive, but when i put one in it wont come open again. And as far as the computers concerned theres no CD/DVD drive in the thing!
I looked in the BIOS, it shows up there. Checked the cables, all good on that frontier. Looked for a driver update, no luck. As a final resort I opened system restore, but I dont have any restore points to go back to before this happened.

Any ideas?

winslow33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: optical drive fried?

Look at this article it should help you.

Otherwise there is a registry fix out there to detect bad registry entries with the drive sections.
“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”

Reliable Online Backup? Click Here!
Verbatim47 is offline   Reply With Quote