Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default optical drive causing freezing

I put a Blu-Ray reader in my desktop about a month ago. I've played DVDs and Blu-Rays in it and sometimes it will just freeze the whole system when it's playing. I thought it was he program causing the freezing at first, but it still froze when I played a DVD through a different program. The freezing isn't really the big problem though. It won't boot past post unless I reset the BIOS by taking out the battery after a hard restart. After a BIOS reset it's fine. But I'm getting tired of opening up my case to reset the BIOS everytime I watch a DVD or Blu-Ray on the drive. My other DVD-RW drive works fine playing DVDs. Could it just need a firmware update or something? I've never had a problem like this before.

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: optical drive causing freezing

The drivers you have installed, are they compatible with 7 x64? You might want to check that out. Also, try reseating the drive using a different sata port.

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I've never had to install a driver for an optical drive in my life... Didn't really think about it, but that might be the problem since it's a Blu-Ray drive. I still don't understand how that can screw up my BIOS settings though. I'll check the cables and see if there's a driver for it.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Well, I have had problems well a dell before. The drive would open and close really fast and cause the BSOD every once and a while (didn't know it was the drive causing it at the time)

It turned out that it was a different driver that was affecting it. The guy using it set up a raid... and dell had some stupid driver for it :P Needless to say, after installing that everything worked.

This was after Dell sent me a replacement drive and another sata cable. That didn't work so they insisted on sending me the drive and cable two more times. I Finally convenced them to send me a mobo and they sent me a server mobo... they sent me the right one later and it didn't work.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

The LiteOn ihos104 is my drive. I tried the LiteOn site and when you go to download the firmware it sends you to a "Permission Required" page... I couldn't find anywhere else to download it. The only disc the drive came with was for Power DVD and the electronic user manual. I checked the cables and moved them around. I guess I'll watch a DVD on it tonight and see how it does.