Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Opteron vs. Xeon: Today's Leading Workstation Processors Head-to-Head

True... I like Opty's though, just because I have one. I don't really know anything about Xeon's except that their name is really cool sounding, and looking... Xeon... Ooh, aah...

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #22
G9
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Opteron vs. Xeon: Today's Leading Workstation Processors Head-to-Head

...and server processors.

G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #23
Fully Optimized

True dat.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Lol yeah..

Xeon

No one can sit there and tell us, thats not cool. Anyways.. There also great server processors. Said above. Personally... Im sure there is a way to get them to be able to game. To use that sheer power... for games. Although no one as figured it out yet
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #25
Golden Master

Xeons are beastly little guys. I've had a pair online running for two years now. With reboots for updates. These guys are made for 24/7/365 like the above poster posted.

It's made for workstations and servers, not games.
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #26
Golden Master

Im sure someone somewhere could make it a gaming processor... somehow. But for the people here.. we can only think if its possible..
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #27
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX_MuziK
So do xeons x_X

But for multi tasking AND gaming opterons are better... Xeons are just multi tasking machines!
First off, dont go with opterons just cuz you have one. The 1xx opterons are COMPLETELY different from 2xx 4xx and 8xx opterons. Keep in mind that 1xx opterons are just San Diego cores with a different name. Opterons can compute things faster than xeons. But all in all, they are quite the same, it wont affect performance a great deal. Its your call, if you can get a better deal on a xeon, by all means, get it. But S940 motherboards are VERY pricey. Itll empty your wallet really fast. Im not sure about Xeon motherboards though.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #28
Golden Master

You quoted me. So I think you misunderstood. I dont have the Opteron. just to let you know.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 03-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #29
Fully Optimized

yeah, i know, but im just saying that Jamxx owns an opteron, i know you have a P4. But im just saying that not ALL opterons are good for gaming.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #30
Fully Optimized

I was just kidding, honestly. I can't rightfully say anything about comparing Xeons and Opterons. Sorry if it came across that I was making an unfair comparison, really, I was just messing around. I just really like my Opteron, so sorry for those above posts.