Opteron CPU for compatible motherboards?

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Hey guys, I just notice something that I never had the time to pay attention to. All the motherboards we are seeing (especially the one's off of Newegg) have support for the Athlon 64/FX/X2. You don't see any Opteron supported boards except for the Foxconn one. With that being said, can the Opterons be supported on those motherboards as long as they are using the same sockets? (ie, Opteron using Socket 939) Or would a BIOS update be necessary? Never dealt with server CPU's before.

Actually...I don't know. It would work, because of the same sockets, but if it doesn't, I guess a BIOS update would be needed.

That's where it probably gets most consumers nuts about. Opterons may be better CPUs, but you'll probably end up with a not-so-average motherboard.

Don't know. I don't own a Opteron (although I wish I did :D), so I wouldn't know. Tons of people on OCForums.com own one, so most of them will probably know.

The opterons will run on ANY S939 mobo. Remember, it is just a handpicked San Diego, nothing has changed except for the core name and the cache size.

its cuz i dont have the money for one :(. I have enough money for the processor and the mobo, but then i need a new vid card. And i dont want to shell out money for a new vid card. I already have a 6800GT.

And it's AGP, but since PCI-E is the new fad these days, he'll have to save up for a 7800 GTX or X1800 XT. Poor him. :p

maybe u can just like hack at the agp vid card till it fits o_O probably blow up but hey, i'm probably gonna get an opteron 146 dunno tho

Back
Top Bottom