Opinions Please

Hamill

Solid State Member
Hello all, I'm currently at college studying IT and off to Uni next year. The time has come when i need to think about building a new rig.

The computer itself will be used for casual gaming, coding, playing films and music etc.

I'm planning to spend around £500 first of all on mobo, cpu, case, ram, HD, dvd-rewriter, and then get the rest in time.

I will definately be going with an AMD but i am stuck in two minds to go for the new AM2 socket or socket 939. I know at the moment the difference isn't all that much, and the prices are not too far apart either. The problem is, this rig will have to do me the next 5 years or so, so is it worth getting a mobo with a AM2 socket?

All ideas welcome, thanks people :)

Any reason for not getting a core duo 2 at the mo, they are the best at themoment

You might at well go AM2 because you're right, the prices aren't very much more than the S939 hardware. And if you want your computer to last the longest (5 years) then buy a dual core processor of course. I would personally recommend Intel's core 2 duo processors over AMD's dual core processors but since you have made up your mind about what you want to do then might as well stick with it.

Cheers guys for the input, D88, i haven't definately made up my mind so i will look into Intels core 2 as well. Thanks again :)

Socket 939 is starting to get outdated, and I'm pretty sure doesn't support DDR2 RAM. If you do go with AMD over the core 2 duo, get socket AM2. But, like others, I agree that intel has AMD beat with the core 2s and you should look into getting one.

-core 2 duo (maybe the E6400)
-2gb of ddr2 ram, preferably something like 800mhz, though the slower ones are fine too if you don't want to spend so much on the ram.
-case doesn't really matter, though having 120mm fans would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom