Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Opinions on my planned computer build

Hi all, this is my second post on here, first thread though, and I'm new to building computers and need advice on my planned computer build and the parts that I've found so far for it.

I'm going to be using a Riotoro case with customizable RGB lights and a clear viewing panel, a Gigabyte 270X gaming motherboard, an Intel i7 7700k CPU with a Thermaltake liquid cooler with dual RGB LEDs, a couple of WD Black 6 terabyte hard drives, a Corsair 1200 watt ATX power supply, a pair of Nvidia GeForce 1080 GPUs with an SLI bridge and four Crucial (the brand is legitimately called Crucial) 16 gig memory sticks.

How are the components I've listed, does the motherboard I listed have WiFi and bluetooth? Should I liquid cool the GPUs, will a 1200 watt power supply be overkill or is a larger power supply better, I don't plan on overclocking the CPU and don't have a clue how I would overclock the gpu. Can't think of anything else really other than the monitors are going to be a pair of Sceptre 27 inch LED monitors powered by HDMI cables. Mouse and keyboard are going to be wireless.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Opinions on my planned computer build

Looks excellent. A 1200W PSU should be fine for your dual GPU setup in my opinion.

I'm not personally a big fan of watercooling and wouldn't push somebody to have it if they weren't overclocking. Provided the airflow is half decent then you're good to go!

From the looks of it you need to buy additional expansion cards to support WiFi and Bluetooth.

My only recommendation would be to consider buying an SSD as your main hard drive. They're going to perform faaaaaaaaaaar faster than any mechanical hard drive. If you're spending this sort of money on a build with such a powerful CPU, it would be a waste just using mechanical hard drives.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
In Runtime

Looks like that mobo has m.2 slots that support picex4 storage. i'd go that route instead of a sata ssd... should be even faster and save slots in the hdd bay...
Cortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Solid State Member

K, what's the difference between SATA and pcei? I don't plan on liquid cooling the GPUs anymore, I'm going to use tradutional fans, but how many should I put? I am also looking at Thermaltake's 900 series snow edition case now, has anyone have any experience with this case? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

You are actually going for 4x16Gb RAM? That's too much man. And 1200W is also too much. Get a good quality 850W PSU. Supernova G3 or similar. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-092-_-Product
Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Why is that too much RAM? I'm new to building computers and I don't know what is adequate. I'm building this computer to both build a game I have in my head and to play online games. Really been itching to play Subnautica along with other games...

Sent from my LGL52VL using Computer Forums mobile app
Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powellbr View Post
Why is that too much RAM? I'm new to building computers and I don't know what is adequate. I'm building this computer to both build a game I have in my head and to play online games. Really been itching to play Subnautica along with other games...

You will never use more than 16Gb. Get 2 8Gb sticks and you are good to go. Also why do you want 2 1080s? Do you have a 4k monitor? If you don't you'll waste those 1080s. I would suggest this build, unless you have a 4K monitor. In that case SLI 1080 is a good idea:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3QXJ2R
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3QXJ2R/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.49 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($99.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ Other World Computing)
Video Card: *PNY GeForce GTX 1080 8GB XLR8 Video Card ($486.97 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1346.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-28 21:08 EDT-0400
Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
You will never use more than 16Gb.
ROFL! Sorry but I couldn't help it. Let me fix that for ya...

You will never use more than 16GB in the foreseeable near future.

I remember when it was said that a computer would never need more than 32K RAM. I also remember when we were putting 2GB of DDR RAM in our gaming rigs and marveling at how much smoother everything ran back in the days of socket A. And then having our minds blown with 4GB in a s939 rig.

The only thing that would eat up 16GB+ right now would be heavy duty video editing/creation. But, then, who knows what the future may hold.
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Solid State Member

And that's why I'm going to go with 64 gigs of RAM, I don't want to run the risk of lag when I'm building the game. It's going to be a pretty massive game for only me at the moment. And the 1080s with the SLI bridge because the graphics of the game are hopefully going to be on par or better than the new Zelda game

Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
ROFL! Sorry but I couldn't help it. Let me fix that for ya...

You will never use more than 16GB in the foreseeable near future.

I remember when it was said that a computer would never need more than 32K RAM. I also remember when we were putting 2GB of DDR RAM in our gaming rigs and marveling at how much smoother everything ran back in the days of socket A. And then having our minds blown with 4GB in a s939 rig.

The only thing that would eat up 16GB+ right now would be heavy duty video editing/creation. But, then, who knows what the future may hold.
What the... I wasn't predicting the future 10 years from now... What a pointless comment.