Opinions on a gaming computer build

Okay thanks a bunch og. I used that and it said around 470 also but I wasn't sure. This is my first build from the ground up. Also yeah I looked at your site and was blown away. Thanks alot for the help.

It can be a little nerve wracking, so I understand. If you get a name brand like Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic, a 650 watt should be enough from the start, a 700 would be what I'd consider mid-upper end. If you can afford it, you won't hurt anything by going with 850, but I'm just trying to save you a little money here. :)

Seasonic makes the best PSUs right now and corsair rebrands them. I believe that antec had a seasonic series of PSUs as well. here are the brands that I'd stick with off of the top of my head:
OCZ
Seasonic
Antec
Corsair
Silverstone
I'm sure that there are a couple more that I'm forgetting about though.

For the CPU heatsink I'd go with either a corsair H50 or a noctua DH-14.

I'd advise against getting a gaming keyboard, the only feature that they have that distinguishes them is the light up keys. A mechanical keyboard would work much better as the keys give more tactile feedback and most are both work with USB and PS2 ports (PS2 has no ghosting whereas USB has a maximum of 6 keys at a time). The only time that I'd get a gaming keyboard is if it has something that truly distinguishes it (like the gaming pad on the steelseries merc stealth).

Okay well are there any good ones that are modular? Or are the better ones non modular?

If you get a modular PSU then it normally has multiple weaker rails so you'd be better off getting a high quality non-modular with a single strong rail and deal with the extra cables (its only 4 extra cables).

Okay also I was thinking about the h50 but doesn't that mean I will have to remove one of my case fans to replace it with the fan from the h50

If you get a modular PSU then it normally has multiple weaker rails so you'd be better off getting a high quality non-modular with a single strong rail and deal with the extra cables (its only 4 extra cables).

I used to be pretty biased against the modular PSUs myself, but they've gotten to the point in quality where I'm ok with using them, and the server I mentioned a moment ago does really well with the CM I bought.

Back
Top Bottom