Opinions on fan controllers...(Sentry III

frldyz

In Runtime
Almost finished with buying all the components for my 1st build.
This is what I have:
i7 4790k
gigabyte z97x gaming 3 - mobo
noctua nd-h14
Samsung 850pro SSD (512gb)
corsair ax 750 psu ( 80 gold )
crucial ballistix sport 16gb RAM (2x8gb)
corsair 760t case
lg internal Blu-ray burner
internal flash card reader ( yes I still use flash cards... feel free to laugh )

What I intend to buy:
2 4tb HDD in Raid 1
GPU - have no clue on GPU yet. Still educating myself. But I will run 3 monitors.
Thinking of buying some HDD coolers or fans.
Possibly some LED light strips..
Possible extra fans to blow from top of corsair case in or out

-------------------

Now heres my ?. I have 1 extra slot left on my case. I am thinking of adding a fan controller. Is it needed? Probally not. But I want to mod my set-up and case as much as possible.

Tell me If I got this correct. A fan controller will only adjust the RPM of fans that have PWN? A fan that does not have PWM just runs @ the RPM it is? Would it be possible to mount the fan controller somewhere on my desk. Possibly underneath a shelf that my monitor is under? My case will be mounted high on a shelf. So viewing the fan controller would be a PITS.

These are what Im looking @
NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller - Newegg.com

AeroCool Touch 2000 Controller, Panel - Newegg.com

KINGWIN FPX-002 Performance LCD Fan Controller Black - Newegg.com

NZXT AC-SEN-3-B1 Sentry 3 5.4'' Touch Screen Fan Controller - Newegg.com

I just think it would be cool to mount this right in front of my above my monitors. Run the wires to the back and into the back of the case.

I wouldn't bother with a fan controller as most of them are crap. Your mother board should have connections for CPU and case fans.

If your motherboard has more than two pins for each fan then it is controlled.

Yeah i am not a .. fan .. of fan controllers ether. Damn i'm funny.
Let's look at what those fan controllers can do.
They can display temps on different components, They can sound an alarm if a chosen temp are reached, They can control fans.

Download hardware monitor (which is much more accurate), I think it can also sound alarms.
Control the fans with the motherboard software. More often motherboards comes with a feature that can control 3pin fans as well as 4 pin PWM fans (i believe yours do. check it out). This will also give you a better cable management sense all those temperature sensors and an extra power cable for the unit takes up extra space.

Just buy some quality silent fans and a fan controller becomes less relevant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom