Opinions on build/Compatibility of parts

Stickgore

Baseband Member
Just wondering if anyone can check these parts over and see if they are compatible with each other? Also maybe the readers opinions on the parts picked? This is my first build and it is going to be used for gaming. Thanks.
http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22966467

(Dont mind if any parts out of stock, wont be buying them right now)

Also I was wondering about the hard drive listed on that top link, and this one
Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
the cache seems bigger and the speed is the same, but I am confused about where it says "SATA 6.0Gb/s" and the 1TB is only 3, whats the difference? Should I get the 1tb or the 2tb?

If you looking for gaming ditch the Z68 Motherboard, You need P67.

Otherwise all is good, maybe a stronger PSU, because if you ever upgrade you going to have to pay that out again, because you only just covering the watts required.

Smaller HDD are always advised, however i use 2 Tb HDD's and there still running fine, as long as you dont live in a earth quake zone ;) and Cache has no noticeable difference (presuming your putting your OS on your solid state (boot in max 10 secs) Go for 6Gb/s Transfer rate or SATA-III (they are the same but dont be confused as advertised as different) as long as you mobo supports it (which it does).

Last edited:
Builds looking solid.

If you looking for gaming ditch the Z68 Motherboard, You need P67.
Whats wrong with the z68? he's getting a 2600k and maybe he'll wanna use the cpu's gpu sometimes, which u cant with the p67.

If its strictly for gaming i would downgrade the cpu to a 2500k and spend a little extra on a gtx 580. You would get better performance for games

Well not strictly gaming, Im just the average player so it would be used mostly for gaming but the occasional photoshop, game recording, video making on windows movie maker and sony vegas, mapping, internet surfing, homework, etc.

Also whats the difference between the Z68 and the P67?

Builds looking solid.
Whats wrong with the z68? he's getting a 2600k and maybe he'll wanna use the cpu's gpu sometimes, which u cant with the p67.

If its strictly for gaming i would downgrade the cpu to a 2500k and spend a little extra on a gtx 580. You would get better performance for games

Thats Totally True i didnt mean to say it like that,
however when newer graphics run on such low watts when low load, why would he ever use the intel integrated, P67 Designed to take advantage of the K series processors, and to give great performance all round and for gaming allowing the graphics card to take care of itself.

And its a good point about the 2600K, the 2500k is about 1-3% slower but youll save £/$ 80-150.

2 things i can think at the top of my head are:
1. the z68, you can switch the graphics between the one built into the sandy bridge cpu and your dedicated graphics card
2. SRT technology that allows you to use an SSD (under 60gb i think...double check) as a cache for your HDD

What kind of games do you play? Thats quite an investment for the "average player"

Lol well new ones like metro 2033, cyrsis, bf3, skyrim, well I will play them once I get a computer to handle them :p.

So should I stick with my current motherboard?

Hands down, Z68. Even if you want to use the (really crummy) Intel integrated graphics capabilities of the CPU.

So many features worth having over H/P67.

I looked into it and will prob just stick with the z68.

So would this hard drive be almost the exact same as the 1tb just larger?
(2tb) Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
(1tb) Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Is it not recommended to have 2tb over 1tb or what?

Also, I was wondering if the listed power supply would be able to SLI 2 gtx 570's? I wont be doing SLI right now, its just I want to be prepared for the future without having to buy a new power supply also if I were to be going SLI. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom