Opinions on build?

Thinkink1

Beta member
So need a new computer, kinda last minute. But had a friend who has done a few throw this together. Just wondering what people thought. Going to be used for daily emailing, design work in AI, PS, Mudbox, and for gaming in between work.

Corsair Carbide Series 400R case
Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4ghz
Asus P8Z77-v Pro/Thunderbolt LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.
Kingston SSDNow V+200 KR-S3020-3H 2.5" 120gb SATA III Internal 7mm Solid State
LG Black 14x BD-R 2x BD-RE 16x DVD+R
Corsair Hydro Series H80 Liquid CPU cooler
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB memory
Rosewill Capstone series 750-M 750w
XFD Double D FX-797A-TDFC Radeon HD 7970 3gb
Hanns-G HL272HPB Black 27" Monitor.

Need to give him the go ahead by tomorrow. Just not sure if I should go with this or just grab an iMac, and forget the gaming part.

I'll say this is one killer rig. (rig = High power machine)
The problem to me here is that you say that you are unsure about getting this machine and you are thinking about forgetting the gaming part and go for an imac. a machine like this is for people that are serious about gaming. You are not serious about gaming if you are thinking about getting an imac from crApple. i'll say you should cheap out on the GPU to get a cheaper PC that fits your needs better.
you could also go with 8GB of memory instead of 16. i doubt that you would need 16GB. doing any server or high performance work?

another thing.
Sure 120GB harddrive space is enough?
I see an SSD but now harddrive.
remember that when you convert the SSD's space into human numbers (having 1gb = 1000mb and NOT 1gb = 1024mb as it is as you see it now) the space will be reduced to around 113GB. then comes windows 7 and takes 23 GB more. you will have just about 90GB left to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say this is one killer rig. (rig = High power machine)
The problem to me here is that you say that you are unsure about getting this machine and you are thinking about forgetting the gaming part and go for an imac. a machine like this is for people that are serious about gaming. You are not serious about gaming if you are thinking about getting an imac from crApple. i'll say you should cheap out on the GPU to get a cheaper PC that fits your needs better.
you could also go with 8GB of memory instead of 16. i doubt that you would need 16GB. doing any server or high performance work?

I am a big gamer, but mostly on consoles. I play a lot. Problem is I spend 16 hours a day sometimes in front of my PC, while doing digital work with AI and PS. I am also an artist and paint, so between paint drying I want to be able to play, without leaving the studio and walking to my other room. The iMac comment was just a bunch of family and friends telling me to grab that for my design work.

As for the ssd, not really sure what thats for exactly. Never had a PC with one. I have an Asus Ep121 and that has a SSD. Looks like I forgot to mention there is also a 1tb drive as well.

Screen shot I was shown.
333z5ft.jpg

149np0n.jpg

OK i c. If you don't want to leave the room to often, then why don't you just connect the Console to your computer monitor?

You don't need at all a mac in order to do good editing. it's old time talk.
So you say you are more of a console gamer. Consoles has much less graphic horse power then modern PC's has. you don't need the best of the best graphic card in order to be sadicfied with the gaming performance, not at all if you used to play on an xbox/ps3. there are other cards out there that is cheaper and can do allot of graphic processing. like the 7950 or the GTX 670 those cost half the price and would be plently for your need.

The SSD is a high performance drive to store data.
Its flash technology instead of a physical spinning drive. They are more expensive and has less space, but they are much much faster.

You really need to be sure before buying a pc like this. Yet again... you will be using allot of money anyway by going crApple. Ether way you are about to use allot of money.
Money dont grow on trees, so be sure what side you are on. Pc or mac.

OK i c. If you don't want to leave the room to often, then why don't you just connect the Console to your computer monitor?

You don't need at all a mac in order to do good editing. it's old time talk.
So you say you are more of a console gamer. Consoles has much less graphic horse power then modern PC's has. you don't need the best of the best graphic card in order to be sadicfied with the gaming performance, not at all if you used to play on an xbox/ps3. there are other cards out there that is cheaper and can do allot of graphic processing. like the 7950 or the GTX 670 those cost half the price and would be plently for your need.

The SSD is a high performance drive to store data.
Its flash technology instead of a physical spinning drive. They are more expensive and has less space, but they are much much faster.

You really need to be sure before buying a pc like this. Yet again... you will be using allot of money anyway by going crApple. Ether way you are about to use allot of money.
Money dont grow on trees, so be sure what side you are on. Pc or mac.

Ok, as for the PC or mac. I've always been a PC user. But always bought whatever I could afford at a box store, nothing to crazy, last PC I bought was 5-6 years ago. I recently sold some work and got about $1700 that I had set aside for a new computer. I've always wanted to play pc games, and figured this was a good chance to get something decent. I just want to make sure that spending $1700 on this is a good decision that will last me another 5-6 years before I must buy again.

it will not last you another 5-6 years of gaming. for applications i think you will get around fine for that long.
but then it's also really time for a new PC. some upgrades later on will make it last longer for sure. thats the beuty about PC's. the support for upgrading.

I have to say that i mis read something in your first post. i though the graphic card was the series Dual GPU, and i know how expensive those are. I would advice against that one, but the 7970 is a good buy.

Back
Top Bottom