Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Default Opinion Needed

my rig is
1.8ghz
amd 3000+
1.2gb ddr ram
150gb hd
geforce 9400gt

someone is selling

Pentium 4 2.8 gig machine
1 gig memory ddr2 3 slots
for $175

how much of an upgrade is it?

thanks


Also: if anyone can throw me something together from canadacomputers.com under the pricerange of $450 that would be thankful, i will be using the system for gaming(counterstrike), i need a pci e mobo as i will be using my current gfx card until i can afford a better one, id put a rig together myself from that website but i dont know what processors work with what mobo and stuff, if someone could teach me that too, thatd be nice . also if you suggest the $175 deal instead let me know

if your helping me with canada computers, also let me know if its possible to keep my dvd/cd drives, and power supply and hd, all i think im needing is new mobo,ram,and cpu right?


thanks!
__________________

cbuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
nevermind1534's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 754
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
my rig is
1.8ghz
amd 3000+
1.2gb ddr ram
150gb hd
geforce 9400gt

someone is selling

Pentium 4 2.8 gig machine
1 gig memory ddr2 3 slots
for $175

how much of an upgrade is it?

thanks


Also: if anyone can throw me something together from canadacomputers.com under the pricerange of $450 that would be thankful, i will be using the system for gaming(counterstrike), i need a pci e mobo as i will be using my current gfx card until i can afford a better one, id put a rig together myself from that website but i dont know what processors work with what mobo and stuff, if someone could teach me that too, thatd be nice . also if you suggest the $175 deal instead let me know

if your helping me with canada computers, also let me know if its possible to keep my dvd/cd drives, and power supply and hd, all i think im needing is new mobo,ram,and cpu right?


thanks!
Not much. Athlon CPUs get much more done per clock than Pentium 4s. I sold a P4 socket 775 3GHz CPU and ASUS motherboard to lukaszr for $15 a few months ago.
__________________

__________________
Your PC Forums - yourpcforums.org
nevermind1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Here's a suggestion:

AMD Phenom 9600 / G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 combo - $126.23

ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $99.49

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $68.74

Total - $294.46 CAD

Yes, you can use your CDROM and DVD drives as the board has an available IDE ATA/100 connector. What power supply do you currently have?
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Here's a suggestion:

AMD Phenom 9600 / G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 combo - $126.23

ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $99.49

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $68.74

Total - $294.46 CAD

Yes, you can use your CDROM and DVD drives as the board has an available IDE ATA/100 connector. What power supply do you currently have?


i very much appreciate the post, my power supply is a 450 im almost certain, so im sure i wont have to buy a new one of those.
i was gonna use my online banking and get it off canadacomputers because they accept online banking, but i guess newegg is cheap and i can just get a mastercard topped up from moneymart correct?

and that combo pack comes with 2GB ram and a QUAD COre :|

and does that mobo take pci express as thats the video card im using for now which is my 9400GT.
and i WILL have to get a new HD? thats SATA

also: will those prices be the same for a few weeks?, and is QUAD core mean there are 3 processors on the board? or just the name of the processor?

THANKS SO MUCH


another also: this is my first time joining here, and i have got the best feedback, i wouldnt mind browsing it everyonce in a while to show me curiosity

also found:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDe...t=Combo.169791

tell me what you think i should get.
cbuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
i very much appreciate the post, my power supply is a 450 im almost certain, so im sure i wont have to buy a new one of those.
i was gonna use my online banking and get it off canadacomputers because they accept online banking, but i guess newegg is cheap and i can just get a mastercard topped up from moneymart correct?
Yes, your 450W power supply will suffice. I'm sure you could use a prepaid Mastercard as payment. They also accept PayPal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
and that combo pack comes with 2GB ram and a QUAD COre :|
Yup, they have special combo deals when you purchase certain Items. The Quad core CPU has a nice 2GB RAM kit at a really good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
and does that mobo take pci express as thats the video card im using for now which is my 9400GT.
Yes, the motherboard has an available PCIe x16 slot for your video card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
and i WILL have to get a new HD? thats SATA
I included a 500GB SATA drive in the list of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
also: will those prices be the same for a few weeks?,
There special sale prices don't last forever and will change without notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
is QUAD core mean there are 3 processors on the board? or just the name of the processor?
A quad core porcessor means that the CPU has four seperate cores allowindg it to do more work at one time. It really sppeds up applications that utilize multicore CPUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuts05 View Post
another also: this is my first time joining here, and i have got the best feedback, i wouldnt mind browsing it everyonce in a while to show me curiosity
Come back often, I'm glad you enjoy the forum.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Thank you very much, you answered all those questions just like i wanted them to be answered.

But what if i wanted to go $10-30 more $ on each part. than i would have to buyt hem seperately right? but it would be worth it would it not?

what should i do in that case

sorry for being picky but once i find a system that blows my eyes for a good price im gonna write down each item and see if i can find cheaper deals and get those exact parts
<3 much love
cbuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Yea, if you have more to spend, by all means you can find better parts and purchase them separately. I just tossed that list together to show you what you could do on a small budget.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Very much appreciated, i get paid this friday and plan on saving atleast $100, and than 2 weeks from then another $200 and hopefully 2 weeks after that ill have what i want
cbuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Opinion Needed

Sounds like a man on a mission.
__________________

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0