Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to solitary110 Send a message via MSN to solitary110 Send a message via Yahoo to solitary110
Talking OpenOffice 2.0 Beta ready to be tested

The open source office applications suite claims to offer most of the functions of Microsoft's Office product. It includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing software.

End of December, a preview of the OpenOffice 2.0 suite was released, major improvements being better MS-Office loading and parsing, strict XML compliant output, a new database program that mimics Microsoft's Access.

The new release is available for 32-bit Windows, Linux (x86), Sun Solaris x86, and the traditional Solaris for Sparc.
One noteworthy addition to this upcoming 2.0 OO.o release is the HSQL Embedded database engine a fast Java-based embedded database engine that once surprised everyone by beating IBM's Cloudscape (now also open sourced) and even C++ databases.

Also included is a user friendly database application dubbed "OpenOffice Base" which allows you to effortlessly create databases, queries and reports using helpful "wizards". Earlier 1.x versions of OpenOffice lack an embedded database and only the commercial StarOffice product includes one in the form of the bundled "Adabas D" licensed from Software AG, but even then such a friendly database front-end is missing from SO7.

The beta has a new user interface - designed to make refugees from Microsoft Office feel at home. However, since this is a beta version, the software needs further testing and is offered with "no guarantees".

The most obvious change in the OpenOffice.org editing window is in the treatment of toolbars. The Main toolbar, formerly on the left side of the window, has been exorcised entirely. So, too, have the sliding toolbars for lists and tables, and the long-click icon trays. Instead, toolbars pop open as required.

solitary110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: OpenOffice 2.0 Beta ready to be tested

i have downloaded that and its really good, when i work out how to use it i might be replacing Microsoft Office

Old 05-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I'm yet to try this. I might you know I know that it accepts Microsofts files so this is a good point

Yeah I am going to try it, as it might be better and again, replace another Microsoft Product. The only thing Microsoft then, will be Windows on my machine....*whispers* oh and MSN Messenger...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

i am starting to replace Microsoft Office as we speak, i have uninstalled PowerPoint, Excel, and the others but i am keeping WORD and OUTLOOK for now!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Sorry, OpenOffice on Linux really didn't impress me. The formatting options were rubbish, it was really clumsy and non user friendly, and slow.

And the files didn't interface 100% correctly between MS and OO, even thought they were the same format.

I'm keeping MS Office for now.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I have been using open office for about 2 years now. I have yet to update to the newer version but I have never had any problems with the interfacing with word.
I am into FREE and the original version worked just great and was very stable.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:14 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

i have been using OpenOffice for a few days now and they only thing that i hate is the database program and how hard it is to create froms you have to use that writer program ... i am still yet to find any bugs i am impressed