Opening my case?

Bhavik

Baseband Member
Hey well i've got a old PC lying around, with like 1.2GHz, around 380MB`ish ram, and like a 6cm fan width/length which is really bad, so i was wounder would it be a good idea if i left the top case open so it doesn't overheat?

My friend said its a bad idea, as it reduces the effencity of the Fan
He said
"Take open the case
its sucking air from out of the computer through the fan aswell
meaning it sucks it away from the components at a much lower rate
reducing the efficiency
out
[Computer --> |fan|] -->"

So would i just be better off keeping the case on?

That's a lie, the only thing that it would do is probably allow more dust to come in.

However, i would highly recommend another fan if you can purchase one.

leaving it off will make ur cpu temp be cooled just by the CPU fan, almost all comps run cooler without there case closed, imo

That's a lie, the only thing that it would do is probably allow more dust to come in.

However, i would highly recommend another fan if you can purchase one.

I would but its a old PC and i've got a better one upstairs so i don't want to really invest money into a old useless PC, :D if you get what i mean.

use it for a personal little server and save all ur big files on it, and when you need them, stream them to the computer u want? thats what i do with my only pentium 4 2Ghz compaq

1. Get Hammer.
2. Smash computer.
3. Repeat 20 times.
4. ....?
5. Profit!

But honestly, what are you realistically going to do with that?

1. Get Hammer.
2. Smash computer.
3. Repeat 20 times.
4. ....?
5. Profit!

But honestly, what are you realistically going to do with that?

No thanks! :D

So i'll be fine keeping my case open if i wanted to?

It depends on the case setup. My dad's computer runs about 4-5 degrees cooler CPU-wise with the side off, the 8800GTS dumping heat into the case would be the reason. All the heat gets drawn to the CPU cooler, with the side off more heat is allowed to escape.

It depends on the case setup. My dad's computer runs about 4-5 degrees cooler CPU-wise with the side off, the 8800GTS dumping heat into the case would be the reason. All the heat gets drawn to the CPU cooler, with the side off more heat is allowed to escape.

So opening the case is a good thing for me :)?

Back
Top Bottom