Open Office

novahifi

Baseband Member
Does downloading Open Office onto Windows XP have any known adverse side effects? Is it true that the Open Office variant on Word ("write") is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Word?

Thank you.

Open Office rocks! I use it for all my word processing, powerpoints, spreadsheets, databases and all that. I have Office 2003 but I only use that for outlook. Unfortunately OpenOffice doesn't have a mail client but I hope they put one in future versions.

Can it do simple drawing like Microsoft Word can? I'm hoping to be able to do diagrams of charts and stick figures.

novahifi said:
Can it do simple drawing like Microsoft Word can? I'm hoping to be able to do diagrams of charts and stick figures.
I think so.... I know that it has a program called "OpenOffice Draw" which is like MS Visio and lets you do charts and drawings and that sort of stuff.

I'm hoping to be able to do include the simple drawings as part of the text document. I know that is this just about possible with Microsoft Word, but Microsoft makes it unnecessarily difficult to switch between applications.

I was interested in Open Office because its word processor can export to Adobe Reader format whereas Microsoft Word cannot. Am I correct?

Thank you.

novahifi said:
I was interested in Open Office because its word processor can export to Adobe Reader format whereas Microsoft Word cannot. Am I correct?

Thank you.
yep. If MS word can export to PDF, I can't figure it out! I've used the "Export to PDF" feature in Open Office many times and it's great, all the programs in Open Office have it.

novahifi said:
Does downloading Open Office onto Windows XP have any known adverse side effects? Is it true that the Open Office variant on Word ("write") is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Word?

Thank you.

I used Openoffice / Staroffice alongside Word 2003 and the compatability was great.

However office is the standard, so it obviously won. Still thinking about deploying openoffice a bit more however.

novahifi said:
Is it true that the Open Office variant on Word ("write") is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Word?

i also was thinking of going to open office, but from what i heard, if you have more complex documents with stuff on them besides simple text...like bulleted lists for example, you may have some problem with the conversion back and forth between open office and word.

Back
Top Bottom