Ooo dear...fried my computer and need a lot of help.

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Ok, so, was using my PC yesterday in a different room to usual. I took it back to its room at the end of the day and upon plugging it in, then flicking the power switch on the wall, for some reason in automatically booted up...

Then there was this sound that i can only describe as *frazzle* then a bit of buzzing, then the thing switched off (this was all in a matter of seconds).

Now, i thought it was the power supply but, god, it was the hard drive, which has now been removed and stinks of burnt electronics.

That's not too much of a problem, it was all backed up, still my PC won't even turn on now...the power switch does nothing. Still, the power supply makes that high pitched whizzing sound that makes me think it's not broken. Does this mean my motherboard is shagged? And...more fearfully, in the spontanious frying of my hard drive, is it likely that all the other componants have also fried???

I need to order new componants immediately if this is the case, i can't do without my computer for next week as i have a party where i need to play music from it next Tuesday!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

Ouch...

I wonder what could have caused that? A surge that went straight to the hard drive?

In which case, its possible you could have also damaged both the PSU and the motherboard, and any other components linked to the motherboard when it went out.

Since it got to the hard drive, I'd suspect you've gone and frazzled the motherboard, but I wouldn't be completley sure.

If you have a spare PC, plugging components up to it may help solve whats causing it.

Always use a surge protector when connecting PC components up... I'm sure you will do from now on.

Hey, cheers for the reply.

I'm so worried i've knackered everything in the computer as i have no money to replace it!

I only have one more computer, which has a very old motherboard in...no sata, no socket 939, no PCI-E, etc etc. So i basically can't check anything! Would PC World take all of my money to check what's wrong with it? Also, all the componants are still under warranty was they're under a year old...would that cover the situation (i doubt not)?

Ok, so, all i've done is i've taken the PSU from the other computer, which works, plugged it in the new one (without the hard drive in), and tried to turn it on...as before, the power button does nothing when i press it. I assume this means my motherboard is dead?

So...next move would be to get hold of a new motherboard and HDD, yeah?

Cheers again.

If your computer is less than a year old, you may get it replaced. My husbands computer blew up (went bang, smoke, burning smell, totally dead) after he had had it 9 months, and they replaced it no problem. (They actually replaced it with one that kept crashing, and finally gave a refund)

I would double check ya HDD on ya other pc first if ya can, just to make sure its trashed. It does sound like ya mobo is dead, but theres no way to be sure unless ya can check everything out on a different machine

Won't fit in my other PC, no SATA, which sucks.

It's a computer a built myself, so i can't replace the whole thing, but i was wondering of the componants (which are about a year and a couple of months old) could be claimed on warranty?

The motherboard is an ASUS A8N-E...which doesn't get made any more i don't think. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative 939 board, which will take my 6600GT and by DDR2 RAM?

Also, what are good hard drives to go for at the moment? Any suggestions.

Seriously though, if the other componants are knackered (CPU, GPU, RAM)...they won't kill a motherboard if i buy a new one, will they?

Cheers, you're all awesome.

Back
Top Bottom