Which one of these 3870s would be best? And will they work with my board...?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I'll be doing some upgrading and swapping when I build my parents their computer here in a few days, and one thing on the list is a new vid card. I just want to make sure that they will work with my current board right now though, as I play to stick with it. Here's my plan:

I'm going to get an ATI 3870 as the price/performance ratio in my mind just blows nvidia out of the water (don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy of ATI). However, these are newer cards and my board's almost a year old now and I just wanna see which card works best, and if it will work with my board. Keep in my I have XP, and all these new cards keep saying DX10? Will it still work??

Here's what I am debating...
Sapphire for $156

MSI for $163

Diamond for $158

Sapphire for $160

And this is the board it will go it
Asus P5N-E

Thanks to all for the help
Zac

That's kinda what I was thinking..I just wanted to make sure it's compatible with XP and my board..I'm lagging behind on knowledge of DX9 and DX10..so that confused me

Its completely compatible with your pc. DX 10 is only for vista thou, nothing for XP. Id say get it.

dx10 is just the soft where
and card can run it
but the ones that aren't ment for dx10 just cant take advantage of the effects ect

Ok I was hoping it would work and it should then. Does it matter that the card is PCI-E "2.0" x16? vs just standard PCI-E X16? Like will it still work with my board?...Or is PCIE 2.0 just the formal name for PCI-E X16? I just wanna make sure everything is set here before I order...

If you're going to get the rebate, go with the Sapphire Toxic, if not, go with the Diamond. Both of those cards have improved cooling over the reference cards.

thanks worship...and to all that helped. I think I'll end up going with the Toxic from Sapphire as originally planned knowing that all will be fine with my system..

EDIT: ALL-- I have started a new thread on the entire system build if any are interested in helping with that. Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom