One internal HDD vs. One internal one external

CBJ023

Baseband Member
Hello everyone I'm getting a new HDD for my gaming PC. I'm getting a 1TB Western Digital Black internal HDD. I'm also looking at getting either a WD My Book or Elements 3TB external HDD. I plan on using the external one to save Fraps recordings to, and other files but mainly fraps. I'm wondering if saving to the external will allow higher framerates while I play games since it saves to a external HDD rather than the internal. I'd like a external HDD so after saving fraps I can plug it into my other desktop to upload so I can still use this one to play games while it uploads. My main question is will saving to a external HDD rather than having everything done on one internal one improve framerate? Also what are the benefits of a second internal HDD vs. the external one? Thanks!

I don't think it will change the framerate regardless of what HDD it is on. I don't store much on my hard drive, All of my files go on my portable HDD.

I would have thought it's very unlikely to make a difference, unless your game is for some reason already thrashing the hard drive (and even then I'd imagine fraps would write to some form of buffer rather than just drop frames as things in the HDD got busy.)

No its not going to improve your performance during games. However if your performance is already being affected by the hard drive accessing then the best you can hope for is to separate things like the OS, Pagefile and Game files, each to their own separate physical disks.

Thank you everyone for your replies I just wanted to make sure my main HDD wouldn't slow my FPS by running everything my current HDD is over 5 years old and is so slow it can't load all of GTA 4's graphics on medium settings

Back
Top Bottom