One hard-drive missing?

Delux

In Runtime
Yeah, so that's basically my problem. It's not showing and my computer is acting like as if it's not there. I can search for files I had on it and they show up, but cannot be opened.
No, I haven't taken it out.
I've never heard of anything like this or encountered it before.

Tried restarts & virusscans.
Help plz.

When did the problem start? Just suddenly or after you installed / changed aynthing?

Format the hard drive... But...
This will blow away all files on your drive.
That's a bit drastic to start with! There's a LOT of things you could try first. To start with:

Try going into the BIOS, check whether the drive is listed there. If so check its SMART status. If the drive isn't listed at all then have a look inside the case, check the cables are properly seated and plugged in firmly. It might also be worth trying it in a different socket, with a different cable or in another computer altogether if you have access to one. If none of these fails to recognise it it's almost certainly dead.

If it's listed and the SMART status is OK, grab something like knoppix and boot up from that, see if it recognises the drive and if it can access it. If so, then you know it's a windows problem and can go from there, again if knoppix can't recognise it then try it in another PC and check for results there.

Back
Top Bottom